Forums Forums Help/Rules Help Edit Profile My Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search  
Ottertooth Forums * Lower Hudson Bay watershed * An Invitation to Discover Wabakimi < Previous Next >

Link to this message

voyageur

Post Number: 2
Posted on Wednesday, November 17, 2004 - 10:57 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

With planning underway to develop the first Management Plan for Wabakimi & Kopka Provincial Parks, it is imperative that all canoe routes within these parks be thoroughly documented. Ontario Parks has very little information in its NRVIS (Natural Resources Values Information System) data base about the routes between the Ogoki and Albany Rivers. Accurate information about portages, campsites and sites of historic or natural interest (i.e., pictographs, waterfalls) will help park planners establish protective mechanisms to preserve these values.

I am seeking paddling partners to help me explore, develop and document the canoe routes of Wabakimi Provincial Park north of the Ogoki River. Several not-for-profit trips (min. 8 days) are planned for June and August, 2005. I will personally lead each party (max. 3 persons), provide all the necessary gear and share expenses equally with participants. If this unique opportunity to explore the world's largest protected canoe area interests you, contact me for more information.
 Link to this message

canoebear

Post Number: 147
Posted on Friday, November 19, 2004 - 2:49 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

voyageur,

Ogoki & Albany Rivers, to & from tha remote.
Wilderness paddle in sum white water wher
tha sheet be white sparkles of diamonds on back
of waters waves. That time of year severe
thunderstorms be common.
Tha lure to exploren, by-way of paddle-thru,
new "Wild North" Lakelands" R tempten, Heya?
tempten to paddle thru
 Link to this message

garrett

Post Number: 75

Posted on Wednesday, March 16, 2005 - 10:52 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Which routes are you paddling between the Ogoki and the Albany? Will they be fly in, fly out?
 Link to this message

ed
Post Number: 381

Posted on Monday, December 4, 2006 - 9:01 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Phil Cotton is again planning trips into Wabakimi PP in 2007 to continue with the work he has been doing during the previous 2 years and he is looking for volunteers to work with him on this project.
The following post is from www.myccr.com with permission of the author.

Posted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 11:59 am Post subject: The Wabakimi Project - An Invitation to Participate
For the past 3 summers, I have organized "teams" of volunteers to explore the remote, less-travelled regions of Wabakimi Provincial Park and adjacent Crown lands. The purpose of these not-for-profit reconnaissance trips is to compile accurate data about lost or abandoned canoe routes including the locations and conditions of campsites and portages, to improve them as required and to note sites of historical, cultural and natural value.

With planning underway to develop the first Management Plan for Wabakimi and Kopka River Provincial Parks, it is imperative that all canoe routes within these parks and on adjacent Crown lands be identified and documented to augment the data Ontario Parks has about these routes.

Planning for next summer's trips is underway. Two 6-week series of back-to-back fly-in trips are scheduled for May-June and August-September. I will personally lead each team, organize supplies and air shuttles, donate my canoeing and camping equipment and make my home available for pre- and post-trip layovers.

If this opportunity to discover the world's largest protected wilderness canoe area interests you, e-mail me and I'll forward details to you.
Phil Cotton

pjcotton@tbaytel.net

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
Only registered users may post messages here. If you have cookies enabled, your username and password will automatically appear in the boxes. Register
Password:
Action:

Forums | Last Day | Last Week | Search | User List | Help/Rules Home