Forums Forums Help/Rules Help Edit Profile My Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search  
Ottertooth Forums * Lower Hudson Bay watershed * Borealis film available at MEC < Previous Next >

Link to this message

gravywolf

Post Number: 1
Posted on Tuesday, August 25, 2009 - 1:19 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Hi There,

I've been asked a lot about this so I thought I'd post it for anyone interested: A DVD copy of my film Borealis is now available for $15.00 at Mountain Equipment Co-op (MEC) stores across Canada or by calling the MEC service centre at 1-888-847-0770 (604-876-6221 outside North America) and asking for product #5020-437. A portion of the proceeds go toward the 'The Big Wild'- a movement to protect 50% of Canada's public lands as wilderness. The film looks into the issues facing the Boreal forest of Manitoba and Ontario from the perspective of a 3,100 km canoe expedition that travels through its heart. The 75-day trip left from Winnipeg, worked its way up through the Albany River and finished eventually at my family's cottage near Parry Sound. It won Grand Prize for best overall film at the 2009 Vancouver International Mountain Film Festival. You can check out a clip and read more about the film on my site at www.gravywolf.blogspot.com or at www.borealis-movie.blogspot.com

cheers, Frank
 Link to this message

ed

Post Number: 657

Posted on Wednesday, August 26, 2009 - 7:51 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

The film aired on the Documentary channel a few nights ago.I was flipping channels and saw these 2 canoeists travelling down the Albany River, which I recognized. Unfortunately I missed the beginning of the program.So I will have to buy the film now to see that.

I think you guys must have had a lot of logistical support to do that trip.

The film was well done and I thoroughly enjoyed watching the parts that I did see.

Thanks for posting.
 Link to this message

gravywolf

Post Number: 2
Posted on Wednesday, August 26, 2009 - 9:50 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Thanks for the compliments Ed! Our only logistical support on that trip was Canada Post- we mailed our food parcels ahead of us along the way- about two or three weeks between re-supply depending where we were. Just finished a 46-day trip from Yellowknife to Rankin Inlet last week and we left Yellowknife with 40 days of food- whoo! that was a load, especially portaging up over Macdonald Ridge on our way to the Snowdrift River.
 Link to this message

ed
Post Number: 663

Posted on Thursday, August 27, 2009 - 8:13 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Gravywolf:
I know what its like to haul along 45 days of food. And this year we added a chain saw and it's many accoutrements to do work just a bit south of the Albany.
I have begun to seriously think about what Canada Post has to offer as well as what outfitters can do for us on these longer trips....

I was into your website. Interesting place. I am going to spend more time in there.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
Only registered users may post messages here. If you have cookies enabled, your username and password will automatically appear in the boxes. Register
Password:
Action:

Forums | Last Day | Last Week | Search | User List | Help/Rules Home