Forums Forums Help/Rules Help Edit Profile My Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search  
Ottertooth Forums * Lower Hudson Bay watershed * Pontax History < Previous Next >

Link to this message

sandileah

Post Number: 1
Posted on Thursday, February 2, 2006 - 11:57 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Hey there, I am from Laurentian University and this June my class and I will be taking a trip down the pontax. As part of preparation, I am looking into history of the area. I have found some neat stuff about the Waskaganish community which is nearby but with the pontax being so remote I am having trouble finding anything specifically about the river. Could anyone provide me with some interesting history on the area or point me in the right direction? I'd really appreciate it. Thanks
 Link to this message

four_eyez
Post Number: 64

Posted on Wednesday, March 22, 2006 - 10:39 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

You might want to contact the community of Nemaska. While it used to be "Nemaskau" on the Rupert River , the current community sits on the shores of a lake (whose name I've forgotten), which is the headwater of the Pontax. I'm guessing you could very well be starting your trip there, with access from the Route de Nord?

In Nemaska is the Quebec Cree Nation legislature, so they might have some kind of library of documents -- or I'm sure they could point you towards other sources.

I know the Pontax has some history of trapping -- and I think some Cree still have traplines on it today. I did a trip in August of 2004, and be passed by a couple of old cabins, some fish-drying racks.
Beyond that vauge observation, I can't help you more. I suppose there could be some kind of colonial fur-trade history --

Would you mind sharing some of what you've learnt so far?

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
Only registered users may post messages here. If you have cookies enabled, your username and password will automatically appear in the boxes. Register
Password:
Action:

Forums | Last Day | Last Week | Search | User List | Help/Rules Home