Forums Forums Help/Rules Help Edit Profile My Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search  
Ottertooth Forums * Lower Hudson Bay watershed * Moosonee < Previous Next >

Link to this message

Post Number: 1
Posted on Monday, June 12, 2006 - 1:09 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

I would really like to paddle james bay this summer. We were thinking of taking the little bear to moosonee and doing a two or three day trip from there. I know absolutely nothing about this area. What maps should we have? Any guide books available? We are avid birders any areas that we should visit?

any help would be appreciated.
Thanks in advance
Brock Richardson
 Link to this message

Post Number: 324

Posted on Tuesday, June 13, 2006 - 9:25 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

You might want to speak with the OPP in Moosonee, before contemplating a paddling trip along the coast of James Bay.They are responsible for Search and Rescue in the Bay area.
The Bay is generally very shallow with tides that range from about 4 to 6 feet. If winds come up, as they will, wave action will get pretty intense.
Many people have lost their lives travelling in open boats in this area.

If you are interested in visiting the area to look at the birds, you might consider using the services of a local guide to take you out there.

Link to this message

Post Number: 244
Posted on Tuesday, June 13, 2006 - 9:38 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Good_goose - I have no first hand imformation about paddling the coast of James Bay but you might enjoy the old book CANADA'S WONDERFUL NORTHLAND by W.Tess Curran. [ 1917 ] - A story of eight months of travel by canoe, motorboat, and dog-team on the northern rivers and along the New Quebec coast of Hudson Bay. It is a neat read.

Ed's advice is sound!

Link to this message

Post Number: 2
Posted on Tuesday, June 13, 2006 - 6:11 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Thanks for the reply. What or who is OPP and how do I contact them? I'm looking for a relaxed paddle not tempting fate.Paul thanks for the book reccomendation I'll definately check it out.

Link to this message

Post Number: 70

Posted on Tuesday, June 13, 2006 - 10:50 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

To answer your question for Ed, the O.P.P is the "Ontario Provincial Police;" and to contact them, just gogle to find their site and search around the webpage, you'll probably find the right person to contact.

I've also heard about the dangers of paddling along the coastline of Hudsons Bay.
If you want an account of some of the possible difficulties, read the first bit of "Paddle to the Arctic" by Don Starkell. Albeit, he was kayaking solo, early in the season, and up north of Churchill -- but the wind, waves, ice, and tides cut short his attempt at a full summer trip.

Good preparation and patience can probably carry you; a few Wanapitei trips (with youth) paddle parts of the Bay every summer, usually from the mouths of Kesagami/Harricanaw to Moosonee -- I paddled a short day-long portion from the Pontax to the Rupert (Waskaganish) a couple of summers ago.
To remember keep in mind, though: it's technically the Arctic Ocean; and the tides are in charge.

(Message edited by four_eyez on June 13, 2006)

(Message edited by four_eyez on June 13, 2006)

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
Only registered users may post messages here. If you have cookies enabled, your username and password will automatically appear in the boxes. Register

Forums | Last Day | Last Week | Search | User List | Help/Rules Home