Forums Forums Help/Rules Help Edit Profile My Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search  
Ottertooth Forums * Lower Hudson Bay watershed * Dobie River < Previous Next >

Link to this message

pine_sap

Post Number: 67
Posted on Thursday, April 28, 2011 - 12:17 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

A little video I put together of a little used crossover trip on Wabun's Attawapiskat Bay trip.

http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=18175330 12526
 Link to this message

ed

Post Number: 1004

Posted on Thursday, April 28, 2011 - 1:34 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Pine_sap:
When I go to the facebook link it tells me the video is unavailable either because it has been removed or is not visible due privacy settings.
 Link to this message

pine_sap

Post Number: 68
Posted on Thursday, April 28, 2011 - 2:17 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

I thought that might happen, I will figure something out and repost a new link.
 Link to this message

pine_sap

Post Number: 69
Posted on Thursday, April 28, 2011 - 4:15 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

<object><param></param><param></param><param
CAnI embed here? Anyway here's a try.

name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed></embed></object>
 Link to this message

pine_sap

Post Number: 70
Posted on Thursday, April 28, 2011 - 4:25 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

OK... Third time's a charm. Here is a working link. Keep in mind this is just an informational video... a bit of an experiment with Google Earth. Let me know what you guys thgink, just don't make fun of my commentary ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detail page&v=FKucfMjFXZQ
 Link to this message

ed

Post Number: 1006

Posted on Thursday, April 28, 2011 - 4:56 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

That works. Thanks for posting. I was planning to do the Attawapiskat in 2007, with another old guy, but it didn't happen. Maybe some other time.
 Link to this message

bhilton

Post Number: 4

Posted on Thursday, April 28, 2011 - 11:51 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

I would love to do a trip like that! How many days is the trip? How do you get home from Hudson's Bay?
 Link to this message

ed

Post Number: 1007

Posted on Friday, April 29, 2011 - 7:28 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Wabun may have hitched a ride on one of the barges that resupply the settlements on the Bay, but these days you can fly from Attawapiskat to Moosonee and then train out to Cochrane. Your canoes would have to go out on a back haul freight flight and might not get to Moosonee for a day or so.
The length of the trip would depend on where you start from , but it would be at least 30 days or longer.Most trips start on the Otoskowin River a bit north of the Town of Pickle Lake.

With the Victor Mine now operating, a bit upstream of the Town of Attawapiskat, there might be some opportunity to get a back haul flight from there as well if you could determine who the carriers are.

Maybe Pine_sap will tell us a bit more about the Wabun logistics.
 Link to this message

pine_sap

Post Number: 71
Posted on Friday, April 29, 2011 - 9:31 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

When Wabun does the Attawapiskat they drive out to Lake St. Joseph. The trip actually starts on a small lake called Ace Lake which is connected to Lake St. Joe. From there it's up the Cat River to Cat Lake where they cross over to the Headwaters of the Otoskwin. The Otoskwin flows into Kabania Lake which is connected to Attawapiskat Lake, and then it's motor time (not literally), ive done 80 miles in a day on the attawpiskat with it's fast flowing water. When the trip is over, at least in my experience, you fly from Attawapiskat to Moosonee and take the train to Cochrane from there. Usually our canoes and gear are freighted on the very samne day on a separate plane. Trip usually takes around 42 days. But you can be dropped off North of Pickle Lake at the Bridge over Badesdawa Lake and do the trip fairly comfortably in 3 weeks. Or if you have the money, get flown to Neskandaga (Lansdowne House) on Attawapiskat Lake, and do the trip in two weeks. I would imagine you would have to have alot of money to burn to that though when add on the flight from attawapiskat to moosonee.
 Link to this message

pine_sap

Post Number: 72
Posted on Friday, April 29, 2011 - 9:41 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

I am a little hesitant to do this as it took a lot of time, but I have uploaded Google Eath waypoints from My attawiskat trips. I first felt as though I should keep this work exclusive to me and my circle of friends, but then decided the canoeing community as whole could benefit and the info should be shared. Now a liitle disclaimer: It has been a long time since I have been up there, and I have been told some of the campsites have been destroyed by flooding and fire, but the rapids and portages are in the same spots. The waypoints I have entered may not be exact. River conditions often change. If you use and share this information, please note where you got it.
application/vnd.google-earth.kmz
Atawapiskat Trip.kmz (90.3 k)
 Link to this message

ed

Post Number: 1009

Posted on Friday, April 29, 2011 - 12:12 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

I haven't looked at Google Earth in this area, for a while, but I notice they have posted some current images.
Especially evident are added pictures of McFaulds Lake where all the mining exploration is going on. This is the base for the exploration efforts to define the limits of the chromite deposits in the area known as the "Ring of Fire".
But I couldn't seem to find the location of the DeBeers "Victor Mine" ( Ontario's only operating Diamond mine) which is a bit west of the Town of Attawapiskat.
 Link to this message

erhard

Post Number: 12
Posted on Friday, April 29, 2011 - 12:28 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

try http://maps.google.ca/maps?ll=52.818222,-83.902073 &spn=0.059652,0.175953&t=h&z=13&lci=com.panoramio. all,org.wikipedia.en

There's a Wikipedia marker for the mine. Nothing on the topo nor images yet, though...
 Link to this message

pine_sap

Post Number: 73
Posted on Friday, April 29, 2011 - 1:47 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

A couple add ons to the set of waypoints from above. These were on a separate set from a trip that overlaps the Attawapiskat trip. I forget to include them in the Attawapiskat set. Also, I thought I should scrutinize my work a little more having posted it here... I found one mistake... The last portage on the Atawapiskat Trip around the cascade (if you take the north channel) that is marked as "500 yds on right" should read "500 yds on left.) Here is the add on. It includes a couple portages around rapids.

application/vnd.google-earth.kmz
Add ons.kmz (2.0 k)
 Link to this message

ed

Post Number: 1012

Posted on Friday, April 29, 2011 - 3:20 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

I still can't find it. It was very obvious on the previous Google Earth Maps, but I can't locate it on this new version. I am probably looking in the wrong place. I recall it being along the south shore of the river and less than ~ 75 kliks from Attawapiskat Town.
But maybe I am wrong.
 Link to this message

erhard

Post Number: 13
Posted on Saturday, April 30, 2011 - 9:30 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Here's a screen shot of the google location
 Link to this message

ed
Post Number: 1017

Posted on Saturday, April 30, 2011 - 11:43 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Thanks Erhard: Looks as if it is along the north shore.Memory is not what it used to be.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
Only registered users may post messages here. If you have cookies enabled, your username and password will automatically appear in the boxes. Register
Password:
Action:

Forums | Last Day | Last Week | Search | User List | Help/Rules Home