Forums Forums Help/Rules Help Edit Profile My Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search  
Ottertooth Forums * Lower Hudson Bay watershed * Kabinakagami or Nagagami to Albany River? < Previous Next >

Link to this message

hunterpaddler

Post Number: 9
Posted on Friday, May 6, 2011 - 10:42 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

I am looking for recommendations on reaching the Albany River from Hwy 11. The two obvious choices seem to be the Kabinakagami or Nagagami just west of Hearst. If you have paddled either of these stretches I would appreciate a brief overview of typical conditions and obstacles. Thanks.
 Link to this message

pine_sap

Post Number: 74
Posted on Sunday, May 8, 2011 - 10:27 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

I do not have any personal experience on these rivers, but have heard they are pretty standard for river travel. Portages around rapids and falls etc. I know of one trip that started off a logging road north of the highway.
 Link to this message

hunterpaddler

Post Number: 10
Posted on Sunday, May 8, 2011 - 7:42 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Really?
 Link to this message

pine_sap

Post Number: 75
Posted on Monday, May 9, 2011 - 9:24 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Here is a link to a "trip report" on the Kabinakagami River. I put it in quotations because there is more fluff than information, but a good read anyway.

http://missinaibi-yuri.blogspot.com/2007/02/albany -river-1983.html
 Link to this message

pine_sap

Post Number: 76
Posted on Monday, May 9, 2011 - 9:33 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Also, I don't know if this is what you want, but you can also get dropped off at Lake St. Joseph and do the Albany in it's entirety. Most people I know who have done it get dropped off at Ace Lake, which is connected to Lake St. Joe, which is drained by the Albany. It would mean driving further west to Thuinder Bay and then North towards Pickle Lake.
 Link to this message

otter_mel

Post Number: 159

Posted on Wednesday, May 11, 2011 - 1:27 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

You can do this from the FN reserve at Hwy 11 and then continue down the Kenogami to Albany Forks and down to the Bay from there, if that'a what you want.
 Link to this message

hunterpaddler

Post Number: 11
Posted on Thursday, May 12, 2011 - 10:55 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

otter_mel: Have you paddled that stretch of the Kabinakagami from Hwy 11 yourself? If so, what month and how were water levels?
 Link to this message

otter_mel

Post Number: 160

Posted on Friday, May 13, 2011 - 12:32 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

No I haven't. I only paddled the Kenogami to Albany Forks, but FN people regularly use it with motor boats, even going down the Albany below the Forks.
I did this in August and the water levels are never a problem on these rivers (too big).

(Message edited by Otter Mel on May 13, 2011)
 Link to this message

bateaux

Post Number: 9
Posted on Saturday, August 25, 2012 - 12:46 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

How many days do people normally allow for Lake St. Joe to Ft. Albany? Are trip reports available online?
 Link to this message

bateaux

Post Number: 10
Posted on Saturday, August 25, 2012 - 11:33 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

I am interested in doing a trip from a river draining north from Highway 11 or similar up to James Bay. The Albany seems much tamer than the other big Bay rivers, hence my interest. I have traveled to the Bay previously with Temagami summer camps as a teenager (with a healthier spine), but several back surgeries (all 5+ years ago) mean portages are not advisable for me now. From what I can tell, some rivers ('Kenogami' or 'Kenoquami', 'Squaw', 'Drowning' all apparently drain north from Highway 11 to the Bay entirely over limestone, with meanders and few-no portages. Any advice?
 Link to this message

bateaux
Post Number: 12
Posted on Friday, January 30, 2015 - 9:30 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Has anyone paddled the Kenogani, Flint or Pagwa rivers down to Mammamattawa? How many days from Mammattawa down to albany?

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
Only registered users may post messages here. If you have cookies enabled, your username and password will automatically appear in the boxes. Register
Password:
Action:

Forums | Last Day | Last Week | Search | User List | Help/Rules Home