Forums Forums Help/Rules Help Edit Profile My Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search  
Ottertooth Forums * Lower Hudson Bay watershed * Abitibi River < Previous Next >

Link to this message

crash

Post Number: 14
Posted on Friday, November 18, 2011 - 11:52 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Does anyone know what would be the distance between Fraserdale and Mooseanee
 Link to this message

ed

Post Number: 1112

Posted on Saturday, November 19, 2011 - 6:31 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

About 180km. As the crow flies. Travelling along a river it would be a bit more than that.
 Link to this message

crash

Post Number: 15
Posted on Tuesday, November 22, 2011 - 8:35 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Thanks ED, My friend and I are planning a trip next year. We were thinking of paddleing from Abitibi cayon dam to Mooseanee. Do you think that a couple of guys with lots a flat water expeareance and limited white water can do this section of the Abitibi safely? I know about taking the trian around the Ottor rappids but my concern is how skilled one has be to run the other rappids on the river, or can we be portage around them. Tanks.
 Link to this message

ed

Post Number: 1117

Posted on Tuesday, November 22, 2011 - 10:46 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

I have not travelled on the Abitibi River so I can't answer your question.
I would be inclined to ask this question on myccr.com and see if someone there who has travelled the river will respond.

Have you considered running the Missinabi River which has has been done by many others and has more written about it?
 Link to this message

crash

Post Number: 16
Posted on Tuesday, November 22, 2011 - 2:11 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

We have taken a look at the Missinabi. From my understanding it has some very long and demanding portages. Due to four operations on my right knee and one on my left Im limited as to the type and distance of portages. I have been told that the Abitibi has short portages. Im in the early stages of researching the trip, as I get more info we well able to see if the trip is posible within our skill level.
 Link to this message

crash

Post Number: 17
Posted on Thursday, November 24, 2011 - 12:59 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

If anyone has any info on the abitibi or has ran the this river please let me know regarding portages, winds, dangers etc. Thanks
 Link to this message

doug_2

Post Number: 173
Posted on Thursday, November 24, 2011 - 2:46 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Portages around dams on Abitibi. The river is dam controlled and subject to quite huge volume changes as a result of the hydro dams. That is the danger side of the river I think. I have not paddled it. A friend paddled the Mattagami and thought it was OK but then again he has not done the Missinaibi for comparison. Portages are not too bad on the Missinabi. The big ones are Thunderhouse (not bad) and Long rapids hells gate (that is the one realy tough one). Missiaibi is a classic because it is free flowing. Abitibi and Mattagami are dam controlled.
 Link to this message

ed
Post Number: 1120

Posted on Friday, November 25, 2011 - 7:44 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

The Documentary entitled "Borealis" by Frank Wolf has a section about canoeing upstream on the Mattagami around the hydro dams.
Go here:
http://www.frank-wolf.net/p/borealis.html

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
Only registered users may post messages here. If you have cookies enabled, your username and password will automatically appear in the boxes. Register
Password:
Action:

Forums | Last Day | Last Week | Search | User List | Help/Rules Home