Forums Forums Help/Rules Help Edit Profile My Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search  
Ottertooth Forums * Lower Hudson Bay watershed * Allenwater, misehkow, albany rivers < Previous Next >

Link to this message

doughissom

Post Number: 1
Posted on Wednesday, June 16, 2004 - 6:11 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

I am looking to do a route from the
Allenwater Bridge to Fort Hope. Any idea on how long that might take.

Also, I'm looking to do this solo so if there are any great difficult
stretches it would be appreciated if you could note those as well. From
what I understand, though is that it's that the trip can be done by
someone with competant whitewater skills, which I have.

Thanks for comments.
 Link to this message

dan_carpenter

Post Number: 12
Posted on Thursday, June 17, 2004 - 9:30 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Doug, I paddled the first part of your proposed route several years ago, and I agree with the information solopaddler gave in the myccr.com forum.
http://www.myccr.com/SectionForums/viewtopic.php?p =84714#84714

We ran the Allanwater up to Wabakimi and then the Ogoki up to Kenoji. It was upstream travel on the Palisade River, but the portages were short and lining upstream was relatively easy. The section from Burntrock to Rockcliff was a lot more challenging with longer, swampy portages and shallow lakes to paddle. From Rockliffe, we headed east through Metig to the road at Pashkokogan to end our trip, but Iím pretty sure you can find info on the Misehkow and Albany to Fort Hope in the Routes Section at myccr.com.

The trip from Allanwater Bridge to Rockcliff took us 9-10 traveling days. I believe the trails on the Allanwater, littered with windfalls a couple years ago, are now clear. The rapids can change with varying water levels but are relatively straightforward.
 Link to this message

george_luste

Post Number: 5
Posted on Tuesday, June 22, 2004 - 1:42 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

I'm not going to be much help but many years ago I did a family trip (with others plus our three children - all under 12) from Armstrong to the Albany via the Misehkow and then back upriver via "Petawa Creek" to Armstrong. I can't really recall any of the portage details except that it was not that bad.

The 1984 book "Canoeing Ontarios Rivers" by Ron Reid and Janet Grand describes the trip to the Albany on this route. Ron was on the same trip.
 Link to this message

voyageur

Posted on Wednesday, November 10, 2004 - 1:08 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

I'd very much appreciate hearing from you about the trip you described. I'm particularly interested in the section of the route from the Ogoki River north to the Albany River via the Misehkow. Information about portages, campsites, rapids, pictographs, cached boats/canoes, etc. Please contact me direct
 Link to this message

dave_chapin

Posted on Friday, January 21, 2005 - 4:04 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

The Misehkow is an easy paddle. I did it twice, taking about 4 days from Rockcliff to the confluence with the Albany. There is no difficult whitewater - some easy swifts and rock dodges - not much volume or power. It is generally shallow with a nice current. In high water it is a fun easy ride. In low water you'll be scraping bottom and walking the canoe.
I don't recall any of the campsites being anything special - you'll find nicer ones on the Allenwater.
The only difficult portage I recall was around a falls (Iron Falls?). We has a portage marked on the right, but did not find one there. We ended up portaging the left.
The southern part of Rockcliff Lake, the second time we were there, was a field of wild-rice, which was kind of cool to paddle through.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
Only registered users may post messages here. If you have cookies enabled, your username and password will automatically appear in the boxes. Register
Password:
Action:

Forums | Last Day | Last Week | Search | User List | Help/Rules Home