Forums Forums Help/Rules Help Edit Profile My Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search  
Ottertooth Forums * James Bay Project * Update on Rupert dam < Previous Next >

Link to this message

pjacobs2267

Post Number: 1
Posted on Sunday, September 21, 2008 - 9:07 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Hi, as we were the last Keewaydin trip in the area I thought I would provide the following update.

As of the end of July the Rupert dam is half-built, with clear-cutting up to the future flood line along the Rupert and Moon rivers. Canoe access to Route du Nord is blocked, and a construction service road runs along the Rupert to the Moon junction.

Our group, a Dunmore wilderness trip, travelled the old Keewaydin route up the Wabissinane, Tichigami and "Little George" rivers (see Seeley's logs) to the Eastmain, descended the Eastmain to Lac de la Maree, and proceeded via the Moon to the construction road.

According to workers at the construction site the dam is currently scheduled to be closed in fall of 2009. See attached photos.

Link to this message

brian

Post Number: 963

Posted on Sunday, September 21, 2008 - 12:05 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

I presume the dam you are referring to as closing in 2009 is the cofferdam and not the actual permanent diversion dam.

Thanks for the update.
 Link to this message

micmac

Post Number: 44

Posted on Sunday, September 21, 2008 - 4:19 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

It's sad to think your group may have been the last group to descend the river, before it will be changed forever.

It's a shame.

A damn shame.

Those who allowed this project to proceed should be hanging their heads in shame.
 Link to this message

brian

Post Number: 964

Posted on Monday, September 22, 2008 - 9:46 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

They are laughing all the way to the bank and see nothing else.
 Link to this message

rivers_side
Post Number: 1
Posted on Wednesday, January 14, 2009 - 4:47 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

There is one more summer left for the Rupert as we know it. A great shame. From the Hydro documents it looks like the river will be "shut off" December 2009, but their schedule may not be accurate. They say it will take about 27 days for the river to become it's final trickle, down 80% of its original flow, affecting the area west of the Route du nord.

Yes, I am doing some research on this river. Is there anyone out there that has done the Rupert? Can any of you answer a few questions for me please:

1) I have years of experience canoeing, however on still, quiet lakes! Can someone tell me exactly what is it like canoeing or kayaking down that river, what makes the Rupert a challenge and a sought-after destination for die-hard canoeists and kayakers?

2) How many other challenging rivers like the Rupert are left in Quebec? In North America?

3) Are any of you out there planning a trip down the river on its last summer? If so, when? I know that Missinaibi Outfitters are planning to go, anyone else?

Thanks!

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
Only registered users may post messages here. If you have cookies enabled, your username and password will automatically appear in the boxes. Register
Password:
Action:

Forums | Last Day | Last Week | Search | User List | Help/Rules Home