Forums Forums Help/Rules Help Edit Profile My Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search  
Ottertooth Forums * James Bay Project * The NEW news... anyone? Also: Pontax? < Previous Next >

Link to this message

Post Number: 10
Posted on Monday, February 14, 2005 - 10:14 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Hey all, or some.... I was just wondering if anyone knew the newest updates on the Rupert damming. Still in the process of being diverted for this spring? I was on a portion of it this summer, and it seems a shame that such an amazing river will be diminished to a mere trickle (where tributaries will flow in) like the Eastmin.
Also, I was wondering if anyone knew anything about the little-known Pontax River? I ran it in whole on the same trip: it's small, north of the Rupert, and it's source at Lac Champion is near the current Nemaska. Plan maps I've seen show it to be left alone, but I have doubts and fear that such a jewel may also be redirected in part. Anyone know?
 Link to this message

Post Number: 69

Posted on Tuesday, February 15, 2005 - 11:05 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Per your request for Rupert River diversion info, did you see the other thread "Rupert Report"?

After doing some extensive research last fall on the Rupert River/James Bay Project, I found a simple answer at this site: r_activites.html. It looks like the process has been delayed somewhate due to the Environmental Impact Statement process. Construction is set to begin in 2006. So, there is at least one more summer to enjoy the Rupert in whole.

The Pontax won't be diverted, but the Rupert Diversion and EM-1 Dam could have an impact on the headwaters of the river. I don't know for sure, though.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
Only registered users may post messages here. If you have cookies enabled, your username and password will automatically appear in the boxes. Register

Forums | Last Day | Last Week | Search | User List | Help/Rules Home