Forums Forums Help/Rules Help Edit Profile My Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search  
Ottertooth Forums * North northeast * Rupert River < Previous Next >

Link to this message

elvis

Post Number: 1
Posted on Friday, January 26, 2007 - 7:22 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

I am inquiring about information on the Rupert River. A group of us are planning a trip of a life-time (literally) and we picked the Rupert because of its beautiful scenery, the challange, and because of the recent deal that will redirect this magnificent river and render its existence defunct. There is approximately 5 people doing the trip, we are curious to know which access point is the best and the total length of the river. As of late, we are planning a 2-3 week trip and are trying to figure out if traversing this river can be completed in this time frame, and any other information that can provided.
 Link to this message

pine_sap

Post Number: 31
Posted on Saturday, January 27, 2007 - 8:58 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

The river can be done in that amount of time easily. When I say easily i mean in terms of time. Lugging your groceries around the huge falls and rapids you will encounter won't be easy.
 Link to this message

pine_sap

Post Number: 32
Posted on Saturday, January 27, 2007 - 9:04 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Here is a link to two trip reports, logs, and photo journals. Both of these trips were 6 weeks long, starting well before the Rupert. You can see that both trips were on the Rupert itself for about two weeks. Hope it helps.
http://www.wabun.com/rupert02/index.html
 Link to this message

elvis

Post Number: 2
Posted on Saturday, January 27, 2007 - 10:26 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Thank you, Pine_sap. I will check out the link asap.
 Link to this message

elvis

Post Number: 3
Posted on Friday, February 16, 2007 - 3:52 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Hi All,
Some friends and were talking about our up and coming canoe trip of Rupert River, and we got to thinking about whether the ice will let-up by May 5th. We are unfamiliar with the area so any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Josh}
 Link to this message

pine_sap

Post Number: 33
Posted on Saturday, February 17, 2007 - 8:36 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

you should be ok on the river (Int terms of ice), although some of the lakes may still have ice. I cannot gauruntee however. Just depends on the weather. However, I do know it will be a little chilly, and the water could make you hypothermic in seconds. Don't fall in! I fell in lake temagami in early may, my muscles locked up almost instantly. Fortunately i was with people. THe river sould be RAGING then with all the spring run-off.
 Link to this message

bush_pilot

Post Number: 110

Posted on Saturday, February 17, 2007 - 12:08 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

May 5th is awful early, there will still be plenty of ice that far north!
 Link to this message

elvis

Post Number: 4
Posted on Thursday, February 22, 2007 - 8:36 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

what time would any one suggest that we brave the canoe trip - we are university students, with time constraints. I think we can push our trip back by a week. We are cautious people, and we are experienced canoists, campers, etc. I realize this has little to do with whether the ice has freed up, but i am looking for solid information about the weather patterns, etc. Any help is greatly appreciated.

JE
 Link to this message

bush_pilot

Post Number: 111

Posted on Thursday, February 22, 2007 - 11:10 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Ice is often still on the lakes in the Temagami area the first week of May. My experience flying in the north, I would say the Rupert area is probably about 10 days behind Temagami. Now having said that no two springs are every the same. Pushing back a week is probably a very good idea.
 Link to this message

goose

Post Number: 1
Posted on Friday, March 2, 2007 - 5:17 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

I hope that by 'experienced canoists, campers etc' you mean expert whitewater paddlers. The river just after ice out would be in full flood...and in mid summer the Rupert is a massive, powerful river. Many of the portage takeout/put ins will be extremely difficult to land at due to currents and flooding of the river. Most of the rapids would be nearly unrunable due to sheer volume and wave size. Drysuits and spraydecks on this trip would be an absolute must. If you are serious about this, I would talk to some locals first. There is an outfitter called ecoadventures in Matagami that run guided trips down the river. Or contact someone in Waskaganish. They could give you more info on spring conditions.
 Link to this message

sundown

Post Number: 9
Posted on Thursday, April 19, 2007 - 11:58 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Elvis

A Trip of a lifetime, huh? Could be.

May, you're into everything, and its a box of chocolates. This area "does not operate according
to generally accepted principles", in May, as the
locals will tell you. In early to mid-May you
"will" find huge High Pressures hovering over this area. I've seen 15 degrees in Timmins while
they're getting 30's and 33's for weeks on end.

Is that good news or bad news?

Depends where you are, and when it happens.
But, it will happen.

You'll get a good ride, but maybe a better ride
than you might have reckoned. It's a hugely unstable,volatile, and in-your-face period of time and if you're doing 2 to three weeks, at that time, you won't need to go looking for it... it will find you. Guaranteed.

"Have-at-her",if you would, but my personal choice would be to "just" have-at-her this year (ie... late May), and based on personal experience, choose,or not, to
have "her" have-at-you next year.

Never dive into dark water?

Sundown
 Link to this message

dennis_pollock

Posted on Tuesday, July 3, 2007 - 7:01 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

I think it's craZy to do a river when it's flooded. and full of ice chunks the size of trucks. and if you flip, you loose your boat and gear, period.
 Link to this message

sundown

Post Number: 173
Posted on Tuesday, July 3, 2007 - 7:19 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

DP

Thanks. I tried the gentle approach, and either it worked, or it worked.

75 days... no Trip Report.

It is SUCH a volatile world up that way at that time.

My point was, all can be rosy, ice on the banks,
river running clean, 3-4 days of bliss... then
it hits 30 35 38 and all that "Stuck" comes "Loose"... and you are sitting on a balsam-in-a-logshoot-of-Spruce-riding-the-bottomsi de-of-a-log/ice-raft... screaming for solid land.

Its really hard.
A guy asks, you try to answer.
I cant endorse a kamikaze run.
Its hard.

Trip of a Lifetime?

Could be.

Sundown
 Link to this message

dennis_pollock

Post Number: 5
Posted on Friday, July 6, 2007 - 8:54 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Ok, now here's a question. I posted a "partner's wanted" for a MacPhayden trip but there's no answers. I'm wondering, is this, Ottertooth, a frequently looked at website. I mean, I know it's hard to get people to go on trips and all. Are there other places to post "Partners wanted" for trips notices that anyone could suggest?
I'm going to look again at the Canadian Recreational Canoeing Assn. website (it has a a new name) but I couldn't find a chat room there. Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
 Link to this message

sundown

Post Number: 176
Posted on Saturday, July 7, 2007 - 6:53 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

DP

Just my opinion here, ok... based on my observations, and based on knowing where a lot of
the regular Contributors are, as we speak.

It is my impression that the greater majority of
respondants here are extremely active paddlers,
who have pretty much got their 2008 and 2009 plans pretty much charcoaled out, and their 2007
plans are being lived "as we speak".

Please do not gather the impression that no one
is listening... not that that was what you were
indicating. Its just that this is a long weekend
and a very high percentage of the active membership are presently living their plans.

A trip like yours... lots would hop in, I'm sure,
if they were aware earlier... and, hadnt planned
ahead as much as they/we do.

Good luck

Sundown

(Message edited by sundown on July 7, 2007)

(Message edited by sundown on July 7, 2007)
 Link to this message

dennis_pollock

Post Number: 6
Posted on Tuesday, July 10, 2007 - 7:21 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Thanks for the advice.
 Link to this message

samdawg
Posted on Saturday, February 7, 2009 - 5:55 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

According to this site http://rupertriver.blogspot.com/ the Rupert has been damed !! This is the headline
"In case you missed it, the Rupert River is pretty much destroyed. I'm surprised at how quickly the hands of man were able to dismantle such a strong force of nature and rearrange it to serve our purposes. Check out these pictures of what was still a pristine wilderness just months ago... many more pictures displayed proudly on the Hydro Quebec website:"
I only got ot visit the river once and was planning on returning this spring it saddens me so.
Please if you have any information on the condition of Némiscau Lake on Rupert River please inform me.
Thank You
Joe Valone
Batavia, NY
Samdawg11@yhooo.com

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
Only registered users may post messages here. If you have cookies enabled, your username and password will automatically appear in the boxes. Register
Password:
Action:

Forums | Last Day | Last Week | Search | User List | Help/Rules Home