Forums Forums Help/Rules Help Edit Profile My Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search  
Ottertooth Forums * North northeast * Rupert River status? < Previous Next >

Link to this message

worth

Post Number: 1
Posted on Thursday, December 13, 2007 - 9:59 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Four of us are contemplating paddling the middle section between the James Bay Road and the North Road come mid-August before the Rupert is fully dam. What is the current status of the weirs and the expected status of the wiers come August in this stretch?
 Link to this message

samdawg

Post Number: 2
Posted on Saturday, February 7, 2009 - 5:53 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

According to this site http://rupertriver.blogspot.com/ the Rupert has been damed !! This is the headline
"In case you missed it, the Rupert River is pretty much destroyed. I'm surprised at how quickly the hands of man were able to dismantle such a strong force of nature and rearrange it to serve our purposes. Check out these pictures of what was still a pristine wilderness just months ago... many more pictures displayed proudly on the Hydro Quebec website:"
I only got ot visit the river once and was planning on returning this spring it saddens me so.
Please if you have any information on the condition of Némiscau Lake on Rupert River please inform me.
Thank You
Joe Valone
Batavia, NY
Samdawg11@yahoo.com
 Link to this message

omaher
Post Number: 1
Posted on Friday, August 31, 2012 - 1:06 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

I did a 40 day trip in and around the Rupert and Marten Rivers starting in Mistassini in 2011. I saw all of the dams and like obstacles but the trip was still very enjoyable and we got some great whitewater. Despite the obvious flooding (20 feet above or below the normal waterline depending on how close the next dam was) it was still very interesting to see what effects the diversions had on the river and surrounding wildlife. I'd say a worthwhile trip, an optimist would say the lack of water in certain places gave a chance to see some amazing things. Not to mention there were pre cut portages around the dams as well as a few above the confluence of the Marten and the Rupert. If you are still considering this trip I can provide ample information. Feel free to email me.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
Only registered users may post messages here. If you have cookies enabled, your username and password will automatically appear in the boxes. Register
Password:
Action:

Forums | Last Day | Last Week | Search | User List | Help/Rules Home