Forums Forums Help/Rules Help Edit Profile My Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search  
Ottertooth Forums * North northeast * Ungava < Previous Next >

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
Archive through April 25, 2004garrett15 04-25-04  11:33 pm
  ClosedNew messages will be added after most recent message, not on archived pages        

Link to this message

george_luste

Post Number: 2
Posted on Tuesday, April 27, 2004 - 7:57 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Garrett:

What river upstream? Not sure yet. Herb Pohl suggests using A P Low's route up the Troyes. I have not studied the 50,000 maps yet.

In the earlier trip we paddled up the coast from Kuujjuarapik to a small valley that leads to Minto Lake. This is the route used by Flaherty (Nanook film-maker) in his winter trip that way many years ago. The east coast of Hudson Bay in this area is an easy paddle (compared to the west coast of H-B or Ungava Bay or northern Labrador coastline).

George
 Link to this message

garrett

Post Number: 45

Posted on Tuesday, April 27, 2004 - 8:38 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

George,

Do you know anything about the North or Caribou Rivers? Know anyone who has paddled there?

Garrett
 Link to this message

george_luste

Post Number: 3
Posted on Wednesday, April 28, 2004 - 10:02 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Garrett;

Sorry. I know very little about the Richmond Gulf area myself and cannot recall anybody mentioning the North or Knife rivers. You should contact Herb Pohl as he might know more. He does not have email and you would need to telephone. He lives in Burlington ON.

In the past I've canoed many rivers without prior information about them. In some cases I had to change plans because of lack of water on my intended route. It's always more reassuring to have prior travel information but it's also more "interesting" without it. As you know water levels can also vary considerably and this makes a big difference.

George
 Link to this message

tuckamor

Post Number: 1

Posted on Sunday, May 2, 2004 - 8:42 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Reply to George Luste.

I may have a group of 4 going to Clearwater Lake and Richmond Gulf in early July. If you would like to share expenses let me know.
 Link to this message

tony_way

Post Number: 1
Posted on Wednesday, May 26, 2004 - 4:15 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Upper Seal River: Does anyone know if it is navigable? I would like to plan a trip ('05/'06) down it to Richmond Gulf via the Clearwater & Wiachuan (Troyes) Rs.
Tony.
 Link to this message

tony_way

Post Number: 3
Posted on Friday, May 28, 2004 - 10:55 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

For digital 1:50,000 & 1:250,000 of the Ungava, see my posting at "General: Expedition rigging". I am really pleased by how the Fugawi maps & software allowed easy plotting of my dream routes from the Upper Seal Lake to Richmond Gulf and from Clearwater Lake to the Larch River. I also querried and quickly located the North and Caribou rivers Garrett asked about.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
Only registered users may post messages here. If you have cookies enabled, your username and password will automatically appear in the boxes. Register
Password:
Action:

Forums | Last Day | Last Week | Search | User List | Help/Rules Home