Forums Forums Help/Rules Help Edit Profile My Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search  
Ottertooth Forums * Canoeing and camping * Maintenance of hard wood trim on new canoe < Previous Next >

Link to this message

panther

Post Number: 1
Posted on Thursday, June 5, 2008 - 11:29 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

First off I am a brand new member - just registered yesterday so if I am doing something wrong please let me know.
Secondly at age 41 I just bought my first out of the factory brand new canoe. Didn't come with any information on the maintenance of the hardwood cherry trim package. So I am looking for any suggestions on how best to prolong the life of this very nice looking trim.
 Link to this message

brian

Post Number: 891

Posted on Thursday, June 5, 2008 - 11:59 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Presumably the trim was varnished or urethaned, which will protect it for a long time. Where, and when, this wears off, you can either re-coat or oil it. Your decision will depend on whether this is a light-use "cottage" canoe or a trip canoe.
 Link to this message

panther

Post Number: 2

Posted on Thursday, June 5, 2008 - 1:37 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Trim package was treated with an exterior grade oil finish. No varnish or urethane.
The canoe sees a lot of weather, we use it in all types of water - river, lake, slow or fast water.
 Link to this message

panther

Post Number: 3

Posted on Thursday, June 5, 2008 - 7:32 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Wondering how often it needs to be oiled and when is the best time to do it?
 Link to this message

brian

Post Number: 892

Posted on Friday, June 6, 2008 - 9:14 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Others may have other opinions, but I oil mine once a year, when I put it away for the winter.
 Link to this message

ed

Post Number: 568

Posted on Friday, June 6, 2008 - 12:19 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Sounds as if you just bought this canoe Panther. So you haven't had a chance to put it to much use just yet, unless you are much older than your Avatar would indicate.
Brian has a good answer... once a year.

My canoe has ash trim and it is starting to look a bit ratty after 4 years of use. But it is a working canoe so I don't get too excited about it's looks. But I think I will oil it again in the next few days before leaving for another trip.
 Link to this message

tripper_dave

Post Number: 42

Posted on Friday, June 6, 2008 - 1:37 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

At the end of the season I lightly sand the trim on my canoe with a very light grit soft sanding block, clean the dust off and then apply tung oil to it.

After it dries a bit I buff it with a soft dry cloth. Looks good and seems to protect the wood well.
 Link to this message

panther

Post Number: 4

Posted on Saturday, June 7, 2008 - 3:08 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Thanks for all the advice. Spot on about the brand new canoe spring 08. Only had one 6 day trip in Algonquin in early May.
Upon doing some of my own research- it was suggested that I try teak oil applying with medium grade steel wool. Any pros or cons to this suggestion?
The canoe is a Bluewater 16' Prospector with special edition Cherry trim package made by MidCanada Fiberglass, New Liskeard. Despite what my Avatar leads you to believe I am 41 and own 2 other canoes (secondhand - not worth mentioning).
Is there such a thing as oiling the trim too much? (every 4 months)

Link to this message

ed

Post Number: 569

Posted on Saturday, June 7, 2008 - 5:41 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

OK Panther! You own other canoes. That would explain why I was a bit conflicted about this statement. "The canoe sees a lot of weather, we use it in all types of water - river, lake, slow or fast water." You also said " Secondly at age 41 I just bought my first out of the factory brand new canoe."

Sorry, I was a bit confused.
 Link to this message

brian

Post Number: 894

Posted on Sunday, June 8, 2008 - 11:19 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

From the wood's perspective, you can't oil too much. But you will have to carry that extra oil.
 Link to this message

water_tramp

Post Number: 6
Posted on Monday, November 23, 2009 - 9:43 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

My wood pieces were not finished on the ends (cheap construction method of assembly first and then finishing second) allowing moisture to seep in and black mould to grow under the finish. I had to disassemble the wood pieces and remove the finish and mould, and then refinish, including of course the ends. I used two coats of Thompson's Water Seal and found it works very well, stands up well to sun and water both. I also dripped Thompson's into screw holes and bolt holes. The advantage of Thompson's is that it is thin like water, wherever water will go, Thompson's will go. Varnishes and urethanes are thick and won't penetrate as well. For that 'classy' look someone might varnish over the Thompson's. By the way, because I'm keeping my eyes out for a new canoe, I specifically asked Nova Craft if they prefinished their wood pieces before assembly, and they said yes. My present canoe is Evergreen, and I heard they switched to oil finish, but if they don't prefinish they'll have the same problem as with their urethanes.
 Link to this message

water_tramp
Post Number: 7
Posted on Monday, November 23, 2009 - 9:45 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

I don't see any conflict in this statement. "OK Panther! You own other canoes. That would explain why I was a bit conflicted about this statement. The canoe sees a lot of weather, we use it in all types of water - river, lake, slow or fast water." I use a Prospector and it's perfect for all those waters.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
Only registered users may post messages here. If you have cookies enabled, your username and password will automatically appear in the boxes. Register
Password:
Action:

Forums | Last Day | Last Week | Search | User List | Help/Rules Home