Forums Forums Help/Rules Help Edit Profile My Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search  
Ottertooth Forums * Canoeing and camping * Firearms < Previous Next >

Link to this message

trapperjohn

Post Number: 1
Posted on Monday, July 7, 2008 - 9:54 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Hello!
How many wilderness travelers carry legal long arms for protection in Canada?. I am very dissapointed to find out that NO! hanguns are allowed in Canada. I abide by these rules but they dont have any factual basis to ban hand guns from law abiding people.It is really ashame and I beleive it puts peoples lifes in jepordy.Thank you for listening to my misspelled rants and raves.
TrapperJohn
 Link to this message

bush_pilot

Post Number: 139

Posted on Tuesday, July 8, 2008 - 9:49 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Just curious John, what do we need protection from?
 Link to this message

preacher

Post Number: 14
Posted on Tuesday, July 8, 2008 - 5:35 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

I know of a few folks who pack a gun when they're up in grizzly & polar bear country. I saw my first wild bear in 20 years of tripping this year. I didn't feel the need to carry gun. I don't even cary pepper spray.

Guns have recently been debunked as the inferior method of dealing with bears. Other than bears, I don't know of any 'need' for a gun. By far the best method is preventative, keep a clean camp.
http://www.cbc.ca/technology/story/2008/03/26/bear spray.html

Handguns are allowed in Canada. All you have to do is be Canadian.
 Link to this message

trapperjohn

Post Number: 2
Posted on Wednesday, July 9, 2008 - 9:46 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Hello!
In 1977 on my 1st long solo trip in the Sangray-Decristo Mtns in N.E. New Mexico I had a bad exrerience with a Grizzly Bear coming into my camp on 3 consecutive evenings.Since then I have always travelled legally armed with my family or solo.Honestly I have never had a bear problem since. But at 18 years old and feeling helpless and terified is dealt with by being prepared if it ever happens again.Thank You!
trapperjohn
 Link to this message

gudwulf

Post Number: 38
Posted on Friday, July 11, 2008 - 10:07 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Trapperjohn... in 40 years on the waters of Lady Evelyn, Diamond, Waikimika & Obabika I have never felt threatened.

Have seen black bear... but they always run away. Bear Scat at campsite... never seen a bear. Canada at its best... don't worry about bears...........! Firearms not needed.
 Link to this message

canoebear

Post Number: 443
Posted on Saturday, July 12, 2008 - 9:43 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

"Buffer Zone"

Without cover Black Bears R typically discouraged from approachen camp sites in open areas. High volume water guns, boat air horns +
emergency orange whistles be deterents to scare
Black Bruins away.
An act of trespassen in Black Bear Territory,
expect tha unpredictable. Plan yer skirt round bout troubles with, keepen much distance in mind.
Once U get inside tha Big Black 1's "comfort zone", tha possibility of a bluff charge increases. Whence eye contact be made, that may spark tha chase response, in which, even if U'r up to tha mark, U woodent come out on top.
No all tha risks before U venture in
"Tha Black Bears Back Yard".
To go beyond yer limits in a quest to backpack, canoe camp/or snowshoe on "Sacred Grounds" wild fringes, intrudes & thrusts 1-self into tha unwanted savage company/or likelihood of be commen a chance situation.
To be humble to Superiors, 'tis duty, to 1's ='s,
'tis courtesy; to inferiors, 'tis nobleness; & to all, safty first.
Fer good destiny, place a tobacco offeren to trepass thru "Bear's Woods", Heya!
 Link to this message

dave

Post Number: 135
Posted on Monday, July 14, 2008 - 11:42 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

if the bear's big enough, most guns will only piss it off anyway
 Link to this message

canoebear

Post Number: 444
Posted on Tuesday, July 15, 2008 - 3:34 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

"tha unknown"

All chance, direction of natures wild 1 can't
always be read.
Ther be nothen more mysterious,ther in tha far NE Wilderness then tha behavior of wild beasts, which at times, they tend to rise above reason & yet fall way short of it.
1st night we set-up camped in tha Canadian dense brush, in early Septembers Autumn Fall , we wer hit by 3 good size Black Bears.
We wern't even in camp when it happened.
me & Renee wer canoen lake narrows amongst all tha hay grass callen-out fer bull moose.
As soon as we got back to base camp ther wer a
200, 300 & 400 lb. Bears scatteren out of sight, into tha thick.
They eat-up all our freezer cold & most of our dry food provisions. All we had left was our can
foods to survive tha rest of tha month.
We considered to call it a day & go back home with our tails between our legs, but we stuck it out fer tha duration in tha cold wet damp rain, day after day, it rained.
We broke-camp out away from that denseness, & moved on down tha road bout 2 miles/or so into an area that opeaned-up. Ther, tha night bandits wer afraid to show them selves.
Our pride 'twas damaged, but had good common sense to get out of tha thick wer we we'nt wanted. If we gave them a 2nd/or 3rd chance at us, we wood of been done-in fer sur & I'm sur of that! They wer bold & ly-en in wait fer us, right at tha get go. We didn't give them time to regrouped & so we got tha hall out of ther.
We paid our duty toll fer passen on thru.
Tha 3rd fret, no-way, Heya!

Link to this message

typhoonit

Post Number: 11
Posted on Wednesday, June 9, 2010 - 1:32 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

I pack some bear spray in the spring, but have never had any issues.

But I guess it is the folks not commenting that ran into the real trouble.
 Link to this message

762x39
Post Number: 2

Posted on Friday, November 11, 2011 - 8:46 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

I typically have access to a short barreled shotgun (I hunt) but although we often see bears in our travels, I have never felt threatened by them. I think pepper spray is more effective and most people are not as good with a firearm as they think they are.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
Only registered users may post messages here. If you have cookies enabled, your username and password will automatically appear in the boxes. Register
Password:
Action:

Forums | Last Day | Last Week | Search | User List | Help/Rules Home