Forums Forums Help/Rules Help Edit Profile My Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search  
Ottertooth Forums * Canoeing and camping * Canoe: what to buy < Previous Next >

Link to this message

dumont

Post Number: 3
Posted on Saturday, April 5, 2014 - 7:07 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

I'm looking at buying a canoe, i want a 16 or 17 ft prospector but i cant decide on the material. I'd like to buy kevlar for the weight but i've been reading that it is not very strong. what do most of you use and what would you recommend? i'm 30 and in good shape and might go solo from time to time.

thanks
 Link to this message

ed

Post Number: 1272

Posted on Sunday, April 6, 2014 - 7:43 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Dumont:
It depends on the type of canoeing you are planning to engage in.
If you are going to do mostly lake travel then Kevlar is pretty good. If you are into whitewater travel along rivers then ABS is a better bet.
This question has been asked by canoeists several times over the years and if you go to myccr.com you should be able to find several very lengthy and detailed forum threads on the subject.
 Link to this message

dumont

Post Number: 4
Posted on Sunday, April 6, 2014 - 11:33 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

thank you sir
 Link to this message

dumont

Post Number: 5
Posted on Sunday, April 6, 2014 - 11:42 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

what do you think of this canoe and the price? almost seems to good to be true to me.

http://ontario.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-boats-wat ercraft-canoes-kayaks-paddle-17ft-Prospector-Kevla r-Canoe-W0QQAdIdZ580894904
 Link to this message

brian

Post Number: 1605

Posted on Monday, April 7, 2014 - 8:46 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Seventeen feet seems to be overkill for a solo lake canoe.
 Link to this message

grncnu

Post Number: 331
Posted on Tuesday, April 8, 2014 - 9:57 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Dumont, don't forget there are advantages, even for lake travel, to a heavier canoe such as ABS- a heavier boat is more seaworthy in waves and wind. This is especially true if the boat is lightly loaded or you are travelling solo (or both obviously).
A lighter boat will float higher and be more easily dislpaced by wind/waves,therefore more difficult to track straight, especially solo.
I also think lightness on portages is overrated, comfort and correct balance at the yoke are more important.
In my opinion the durability of ABS, and its ability to "slither" over the sharpest rocks rather than sticking, are reason enough to go that way, and the additional weight is a bonus !
Anyways an ABS Prospector will be about the same weight as a reasonably maintained canvas/cedar strip prospector.
 Link to this message

les
Post Number: 49
Posted on Monday, March 21, 2016 - 6:41 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

In all my years of guiding and outfitting in Temagami I never saw a single Pakboat. Recent trips across the Barrens have opened my eyes. A 17 ft PakCanoe weighs 56 lb and carries 910 lb. Apart from the advantages of a fly in/out situation they appear to be a good lightweight alternative to ABS. They've had 25 years to improve on the design/materials and all of the parts can be ordered separately as repair/replacements. Camp Widjiwagan has introduced PakCanoes into their Barrens fleet. There are lots of assembly tutorials on Youtube. I'm now looking for a used PakCanoe model 170. For a fun watch get on Youtube and search "Arctic wolf vs PakCanoe". I'd be interested in hearing from a Pakboat owner.}

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
Only registered users may post messages here. If you have cookies enabled, your username and password will automatically appear in the boxes. Register
Password:
Action:

Forums | Last Day | Last Week | Search | User List | Help/Rules Home