Forums Forums Help/Rules Help Edit Profile My Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search  
Ottertooth Forums * Canoeing and camping * Cooking with fire < Previous Next >

Link to this message

zed

Post Number: 28

Posted on Thursday, July 9, 2015 - 5:06 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

I am interested in moving away from cooking with compressed gas. My biggest concern is that the pots used end up covered in soot. I don't want the soot to make my other equipment dirty.

How do other that cook with fire deal with soot covered pots?

(Message edited by zed on July 9, 2015)
 Link to this message

ed

Post Number: 1312

Posted on Thursday, July 9, 2015 - 6:59 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Pack the soot covered pots in a cloth bag with a tie on the top.

The inside of the bag gets dirty, but your pack should stay clean.
At home, wash out the bag and clean the pot, so that it is ready for your next trip.
 Link to this message

brian

Post Number: 1704

Posted on Friday, July 10, 2015 - 8:20 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

There is always the trick of covering the outside of the pot with soap just before putting it on the fire. If you do a good coat, the black washes off fairly easily after cooking.
 Link to this message

markomrko

Post Number: 2
Posted on Friday, July 10, 2015 - 11:29 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

I moved to fire cooking last year, 6 trips so far (3 solo, 3 group trips with 5-10 people). My thoughts/set-up:

1) Emberlit stove - very light twig stove. Doubles as a Trangia burner wind screen.
2) Trangia burner with 60 cc alcohol in it. In case of really bad weather, this is a nice backup that always works.
3) Backpacker grill - the Purcell Trench Streamside grill. I know there are grills at most campsites, but this is extremely well made, light and reliable. I love it.
4) Fry-bake pan with lid - doubles as frying pan, pot and baking oven. I love this thing.

1) For solo, I made pot cozies made of Reflextix (insulation material). This doubles as protection from soot so I don't use a bag for my 1.6L solo pot or the Fry-bake. Instead, I have a Reflectix pot cozy, and I keep the cozy and the lid in place with nylon webbing.

2) Fire cooking works really well for solo up to 3 people. As the number of people increases, I think white gas is the way to go. I did use fire cooking only on a trip with 5 people, but it was sunny every day.

3) Bushcraft by Mors Kochanski is a great book.

4) Picture: Most fireplaces are too large for a cooking fire, you have to rebuild a smaller one. I burn down the coals, then put enough below the grill to create a heat that I keep my hand at the grill level for 5-6 seconds. The rest of the coals are on the side, and I add as needed.

Cheers,
Marko
 Link to this message

les

Post Number: 48
Posted on Monday, August 17, 2015 - 11:05 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Just back from the Kazan. We had a small, custom made stainless steel grille which we used in the forested section of our trip. We built or rebuilt fire pits as above. On the barrens we used a collapsible, stainless twig burner called a "Little Bug" and it worked great. We were always able to find enough fuel. The Bug also works as a wind shield for our old (70s & 80s) Coleman one burner stoves which still work great. You can keep all those new, high tech stoves (which I used to sell and rent), they're a pain in the butt(I had to fix/service them). All I've had to do to maintain my Colemans is oil the pump seals and occasionally clean the burners. You can still buy replacement leather pump seals at CTC.
 Link to this message

simonb

Post Number: 61

Posted on Friday, October 30, 2015 - 1:34 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

On our last 6 man expedition in Northern Quebec we used a biolite for pan frying, and a teepee suspened pot for boiling water.

The biolite works great for panfrying with our heavy gauge cast aluminum fry pan. The aluminum helps evenly distribute the heat.

For boiling water we have a very large aluminum pot that we suspend over the wooden fire. It allows us to boil enough water for everyones coffee an oatmeal an then some all at the same time. It is super light, and nests perfectly in the bottom of the food barrel.

Both pan and pot do build up with soot. We keep the pan in a heavy bag, and the pot we try an scour somewhat with sand then place it at the very bottom of the food barrel so it doesn't get black on anything else!
 Link to this message

simonb

Post Number: 62

Posted on Tuesday, March 1, 2016 - 10:31 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Found a nice pic of our setup, can't wait till the snow melts so I can do this again!

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
Only registered users may post messages here. If you have cookies enabled, your username and password will automatically appear in the boxes. Register
Password:
Action:

Forums | Last Day | Last Week | Search | User List | Help/Rules Home