Forums Forums Help/Rules Help Edit Profile My Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search  
Ottertooth Forums * Canoeing and camping * Hennessy Hammock Question < Previous Next >

Link to this message

tripper_dave

Post Number: 50

Posted on Wednesday, January 20, 2010 - 4:38 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

I bought a Hennessy Hammock ( Expedition ASYM ) a couple of years ago but still haven't tried it out.

http://hennessyhammock.com/specs-expeditionasym.ht ml

Just curious if anyone else here owns or has used one on a trip.

Do you like it? Would you use it to replace a tent on a wilderness trip or to augment it? Tips to using one? Pro's and Con's?

Any feedback would be appreciated.

Dave
 Link to this message

ed

Post Number: 708

Posted on Thursday, January 21, 2010 - 10:23 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Hey Brian: You are a fan of these things... Do you have any comments?
 Link to this message

shutter_speed

Post Number: 44

Posted on Thursday, January 21, 2010 - 12:16 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Terra firma for me! Can't see myself bouncing around in a cocoon in a wind storm! Maybe if it was built for two it could be interesting for awhile.
 Link to this message

preacher

Post Number: 87
Posted on Thursday, January 21, 2010 - 1:32 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

I'd have to return to bringing a tent in order to replace one.

I've never heard of anyone trying and not liking it. Give it a try.
 Link to this message

brian

Post Number: 1136

Posted on Thursday, January 21, 2010 - 8:18 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

I have been using one for maybe 8 years. I got it because I moved to lightweight solo travel and an acquaintance at Keewaydin swore by it. About 2 lbs and a tiny bundle compared to a tent.

Mine is actually customized to some specs that Hennessy willingly made for me. I see, too, some have been put into the production models. One thing I found was the ropes and wraps too short for the big pines, and the fly too small for the rain and wind.

As for bouncing around, you can adjust the lines to cut down on most if you prefer. It is a bit claustrophobic if that bothers you. And you have to learn to change clothes inside (takes a lot of practice) during fly season. It is asymmetric so you can stretch out a bit.

But you do have to get used to it. During fly season you have to spend more time inside and that isn't so much fun. As you need trees at the right spread and not all campsites are ideal for this, but the advantage is you can pull up into most stands of trees. You are never without a campsite.

After 9 days in it, I do get a craving for flat ground so I can stretch out (and have a companion, as Shutter-speed notes). But wouldn't trip without it.

Link to this message

boat129

Post Number: 4
Posted on Saturday, January 23, 2010 - 9:36 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Link to this message

ed

Post Number: 709

Posted on Saturday, January 23, 2010 - 11:37 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Boat 129:
Some further explanation of this sleeping arrangement would be interesting.
Clearly some kind of river trip with multiple canoes lashed together, with sleeping platforms. So where was it, and what was it all about?
 Link to this message

boat129

Post Number: 5
Posted on Saturday, January 23, 2010 - 1:15 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Sorry,

This is a 25 day trip I do in the everglades with outward bound. Six boats two instructors and ten students. There is no land so we raft up every night lash the boats together to form a big platform to eat, teach lessons and sleep. Each boat carrys three custom boards under all the gear made out of half inch plywood. A few inch and a half pvc pipes to make ridgelines and a whole bunch of gear and food.

Link to this message

boat129

Post Number: 6
Posted on Saturday, January 23, 2010 - 2:18 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

tripper dave,

This is called a healy hammock. I always carry one in my day pack. The advantage over a hennessy is this goes on the ground and only weighs a pound, if that.
 Link to this message

brian

Post Number: 1138

Posted on Saturday, January 23, 2010 - 6:53 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Oh, that is interesting. One nice thing I like about my Hennessy is that I never have to worry about water under the tent. I guess it would be perfect in alligator country.
 Link to this message

ed

Post Number: 710

Posted on Sunday, January 24, 2010 - 7:35 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Boat 129:
Definitely a different way to canoe.I have seen some strange contraptions rafted together on the water over the years, but yours is the ultimate in versatility in a difficult environment.
Thanks for posting again.
 Link to this message

boat129

Post Number: 7
Posted on Sunday, January 24, 2010 - 8:36 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Ed

Your welcome. I thought you guys would get a kick out of this! Your right the everglades is a very difficult enviroment to trip in. It seems like everything can kill you from the big to the small. And the bugs in the spring, its like canada on steroids. The diversity of plants and animals in the everglades is like no other on earth! It should be on every canoe trippers bucket list!
 Link to this message

tripper_dave

Post Number: 52

Posted on Sunday, January 24, 2010 - 4:49 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Thanks for all the feedback on the hammock question. And I have to say Boat129, using hammocks on a tied up raft of canoes is something I would never would have thought of.

Thanks for sharing that.

Dave
 Link to this message

preacher

Post Number: 88
Posted on Monday, January 25, 2010 - 1:00 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Awesome stuff, boat129. That healy hammock is a neat thing.
 Link to this message

boat129

Post Number: 8

Posted on Monday, January 25, 2010 - 10:15 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

one more sleeping in the rain
 Link to this message

kayamedic

Post Number: 7
Posted on Tuesday, January 26, 2010 - 9:30 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

I trip in the Everglades too and there are campsites for those of you wondering.. However 12 on a chickee is a bit of a space problem hence what they group has worked out works for them.

Never been bitten by a gator.. now raccoons are real problems. As well as rats. And carrying your fresh water The upside is dolphins and manatees and incredible amounts of birds.

Most of the campsites do not support a HH well. Mangroves are too flexible. Gumbo limbos are never quite in the right place.

So I take a small solo tent.

I like my HH for camping in some areas. Its fine for Temagami. I dont use the wee fly. Hennessy will send an bigger fly if you buy a hammock and ask for it.

I hammock under a 10x14 tarp..sufficient room for kitchen too.
 Link to this message

shutter_speed

Post Number: 45

Posted on Tuesday, January 26, 2010 - 8:11 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

OK, you all convinced me! I certainly like the weight. I WILL try it, if I ever go solo. Thanks for all the posts, and cool pictures!
 Link to this message

bhilton

Post Number: 3

Posted on Thursday, April 28, 2011 - 12:00 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

I just received my Hennessy Hammock Explorer Deluxe last week. I can't wait to try it out in Algonquin next weekend (fingers crossed they lift the back country ban due to ice safety issues in the next 8 days).

(Message edited by bhilton on April 28, 2011)

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
Only registered users may post messages here. If you have cookies enabled, your username and password will automatically appear in the boxes. Register
Password:
Action:

Forums | Last Day | Last Week | Search | User List | Help/Rules Home