Forums Forums Help/Rules Help Edit Profile My Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search  
Ottertooth Forums * Canoeing and camping * Spanish River and the Bud Car < Previous Next >

Link to this message

rick_calhoun

Post Number: 1
Posted on Tuesday, June 8, 2010 - 2:31 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Hi- can anyone confirm that it is still okay to travel on the Bud Car with uncaged dogs, so that the dogs can accompany you on a canoe trip down the Spanish River?
 Link to this message

ed

Post Number: 840

Posted on Tuesday, June 8, 2010 - 4:41 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Who operates the Budd Car? Via Rail?

I just booked my dog on the West Bound Canadian from Nakina to Armstrong, complete with dog crate.

They don't usually allow uncrated dogs, but are pretty lenient on the type of crate being used.
So if you are going on a canoe trip and don't want to have to deal with a dog crate, make a wooden one and then use it for firewood on your arrival.As long as it will constrain the dog for the rail trip they should be cool.

"Canoedog" might have some experience with the Budd car and be ble to give you a more specific answer.
 Link to this message

ghost_brigade

Post Number: 90

Posted on Tuesday, June 8, 2010 - 5:03 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

We travelled with our dog uncaged on the budd car a couple of summers ago, kept him on a rope tied to a pack.
 Link to this message

micmac

Post Number: 99

Posted on Wednesday, June 9, 2010 - 8:34 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

This is still a regular practice. People even let them in the passenger car on their laps...
The warning of "all dogs must be caged" is a generic warning that applies to all Via Rail lines.
Incidentally, if you call the Via Rail information desk, they don't even know what the Bud car is, let alone it's informal policies...
That's been my experience.
 Link to this message

canoedog

Post Number: 27
Posted on Wednesday, June 9, 2010 - 9:58 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Things have changed on the Budd Car service. Our last trip was in February and the good old days appear to be gone, a complaint had been filed with Via over the Budd operations of some sort, as most folks know it was a very relaxed operation but rules are rules I guess now. You now have to stay in the coach seats (no more hangin' in the baggage car) and dogs had to be crated. There was one crate in the baggage car provided for one dog but.... Phone the local Sudbury Via office for confirmation of present practices - 705-673-1146.

Last note I have of the office hrs are 830-1000 Mon, 800-1500 Tue/Thur, 1200- 2000 Wed/Sun, 1730 - 1930 Fri and 800- 1130 Sat.

It's a bit of a shame that the old relaxed trips seem to be gone (liability issues would be the main reason I'd think) it was always one of my favourite ways to access the back country - hanging in the baggage car with your dog and a "pop". At least the service is still running and the train crews are still great!
 Link to this message

micmac

Post Number: 100

Posted on Wednesday, June 9, 2010 - 11:48 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Say it ain't so...
The old Budd car days are over?

I used to love having a "pop" or two in the boxcar, watching the river go by...
 Link to this message

canoedog

Post Number: 28
Posted on Wednesday, June 9, 2010 - 12:56 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Well, that was our experience in February, unfortunately I think the lads had a VIA inspector ride the train for a trip after the complaint and then the "rules" appeared . It was a unique experience all way round and enjoyed by all. The crews miss it too, I was allowed up to the engineers position in February but just to point out where we wanted off the train.
 Link to this message

ed

Post Number: 841

Posted on Wednesday, June 9, 2010 - 6:36 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

I took the Algoma Central from SSM to Hawk Junction several years ago. Apart from the fact that it was very slow, it was also very relaxed. There were dogs, and much pop guzzling going on in the baggage car. The engineers wore traditional clothes, with blue pinestripes on grey and hats included. The train stopped many times along the way to let people on or off in the bush at cottages, camps, lakes etc. At that time they allowed ATV's to get on also. The fact that it was close to 5 hours late didn't appear to bother anyone except those of us who were used to travelling according to a posted schedule.... and were hoping to find a campsite somewhere before it got dark...

The "Canadian" which goes across Canada and takes on several hundred high paying tourists from all over the world is a "Managed train" that follows all of Via's rules to the letter and I suspect that now that these "managers" have figured out what a Budd car is it will be "managed" to the same standards also.Those of us who travel in coach class and pay little are mostly the ones being "managed". Travelling by train in Canada is definitely an experience in watching the Canadian mosaic pass by.

I am guessing you will now need a crate for your dog(s)and guzzling pop in the baggage car will also become a thing of the past.
 Link to this message

mr_pike

Post Number: 34
Posted on Thursday, June 10, 2010 - 12:28 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Sad news.
 Link to this message

alscool

Post Number: 256

Posted on Thursday, June 10, 2010 - 8:26 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

I love guzzling pop and traveling on trains.
 Link to this message

rick_calhoun
Post Number: 2
Posted on Friday, June 11, 2010 - 9:28 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Thanks for the comments everybody; I think we'll take our chances and show up with our dogs but without cages. I understand they are now charging a fee for dog passengers as well- 15- 40 dollars, depending on the size of the dog. (damn bureaucrats eh!!)

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
Only registered users may post messages here. If you have cookies enabled, your username and password will automatically appear in the boxes. Register
Password:
Action:

Forums | Last Day | Last Week | Search | User List | Help/Rules Home