Post Number: 14
|Posted on Monday, January 10, 2011 - 9:58 am: ||
This April, the Ontario Recreational Canoe and Kayak Association will be putting on a canoe tripping seminar….check out the ORCKA Seminar: Canoe Tripping “Then and Now”.
Here is more info from the ORCKA website, http://www.orcka.ca/content/index.asp?page=seminar:
2011 ORCKA Seminar
Canoe Tripping “Then and Now”
Saturday, April 16, 2011
Seneca College – Kings Campus
The cost, which includes lunch, is $65.00 plus HST ($73.45) for ORCKA members and $75.00 plus HST ($84.75) for non-members. Members can register online through their secure member page. You may also register by contacting the ORCKA office by email email@example.com or phone (416)426-7016.
Schedule of Events:
9:00 am Welcome Address
9:15 – 10:00 am Bob Henderson – A Historical Look at Canoe Tripping
10:00 – 10:10 am Bio Break
10:10 – 11:00 am Break-Out Session (Choose one of the following)
1. Chrismar Mapping – Reading contours
2. Wendy Grater – What Trip Leaders do when things go wrong!
3. Rob Stevens – Wannigans, reflector ovens & knives
11:00 – 11:10 am Bio Break
11:10 – 12:00 am Innovative Youth Canoe Tripping Programs:
1. Allan Crawford Inner City Outripping Center
2. Julia Morch – Trails Innovative Youth
3. M. Redman – Project Canoe
12:00 – 1:10 pm Lunch (included in registration)
1:10 – 2:00 pm Break-Out Session (Choose one of the following)
1. Francis Boyes – Trip Leadership and “Soft Skills”
2. Pat and Bruce Hawkins – Dutch Oven Cooking
3. Shawn Hodgins – Considerations for Canoe Trips on Moving Water
2:00 – 2:10 pm Bio Break
2:10 – 3:00 pm Rick Reid – How to share your passion – Five Easy Steps to Becoming a Canoe Tripping Instructor
3:00 – 3:10 pm Bio Break
3:10 – 4:00 pm Break-Out Session (Choose one of the following)
1. Linda Leckie – Trip Journal and Literature
2. Bruce Smith – Canoes and paddles
3. Shawn Hodgins – Navigational Essentials for Canoe Trip Leaders
4:00 – 4:20 pm Silent Auction Announcement and Closing Remarks
Check out the ORCKA Seminar….very timely in planning for the coming tripping season….a great way to look back at canoe tripping traditions like using wanigans, tumplines, and wood canvas canoes….a look at the present day canoe tripping experience including innovative youth canoe tripping programs, leadership skills, cooking, mapping, journaling, tripping on moving water and other related skills….even to the future with how to become a canoe tripping instructor….something for everybody….not just ORCKA instructors and members….there will even be a special guest speaker (to be confirmed soon) at lunch.
Paddles up until later then….and plan to attend the ORCKA Seminar: Canoe Tripping “Then and Now” on Saturday, April 16, 2011 at Seneca College – King Campus.