Forums Forums Help/Rules Help Edit Profile My Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search  
Ottertooth Forums * Canoeing and camping * Where to leave canoe when in Sudbury < Previous Next >

Link to this message

mike_rudswiler

Post Number: 1
Posted on Wednesday, June 1, 2011 - 12:38 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

I will be renting a 17-18 ft kevlar canoe in Toronto for a trip to Mississagi - beyond Elliot Lake. I cannot find any outfitters from Sudbury to there who have such a large kevler canoe to rent out. I will be spending a night in Sudbury. What do I do with the canoe while I am there? I can't just leave it on the roof can I? That's an expensive piece of hardware. What should I do? Any ideas? Or do you know an outfitter? Or should I just head to Temagami, where I know I can get outfitted on site?
 Link to this message

alscool

Post Number: 306

Posted on Wednesday, June 1, 2011 - 1:38 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Speak to the manager of the hotel you plan to stay at, I am sure they can arrange a lock up.
They are in the hospitality business after all.
 Link to this message

bush_pilot

Post Number: 201

Posted on Wednesday, June 1, 2011 - 3:41 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Have you tried the "Outside Store" in Sudbury,705 522 1755, they rented equip. at one time. Or try Ramakko's 705 522 8889
 Link to this message

micmac

Post Number: 116

Posted on Thursday, June 2, 2011 - 8:04 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Buy a bike cable.
Lock it to the roof.

Not many individuals are going to bother cutting a cable off the roof of your car for a canoe...

Link to this message

brian

Post Number: 1337

Posted on Thursday, June 2, 2011 - 9:34 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

I have stayed in Sudbury many times over the last decade and always left my canoe on my car. Have you heard of canoes stolen from hotel lots?
 Link to this message

preacher

Post Number: 164
Posted on Thursday, June 2, 2011 - 10:10 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Never had a problem with the canoe on the roof anywhere. Left unmonitored anywhere for dinner or overnight or shopping.

When renting I'd prefer to rent from as close to the put-in as possible. I hate driving with the canoe. Aside from the drop in mpg my heart flutters with every big wind & big truck. Driving from Toronto to Atikokan made me very nervous!
 Link to this message

ed

Post Number: 1022

Posted on Thursday, June 2, 2011 - 12:18 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

I have been all over the province with canoes on various vehicles and have never had a problem in a hotel,motel, parking lot, supermarket, restaurant etc. anywhere... over a period of almost 50years.
I think it is pretty hard to steal something like a canoe off a vehicle without being obvious about it.
 Link to this message

alscool

Post Number: 308

Posted on Thursday, June 2, 2011 - 3:22 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Not a canoe but similar; my Dad had his box liner stolen from from his truck while in the bank in Carleton Place!
 Link to this message

erhard

Post Number: 15
Posted on Thursday, June 2, 2011 - 7:07 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

I've used the bike cable to lock the boat on the car occasionally. Here's what I do, with the canoe resting on the roof: I move the cable around the center thwart or yoke, close the car's passenger side doors but leave its windows a crack open, pull the two cable ends into the car's interior and lock together. So now I have a cable that holds onto the thwart of the canoe and is around the car's door post - and it is hard to get to if someone wants to tamper with it. Last, I roll the windows up as much as possible and lock all doors. Done.
 Link to this message

doug_2

Post Number: 168
Posted on Friday, June 3, 2011 - 7:37 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Doea anyone have a story of a Canoe stolen off a roof rack on a car anywhere? I'm sure it must have happened but not to me in more than 35 years.
 Link to this message

ed

Post Number: 1027

Posted on Saturday, June 4, 2011 - 8:19 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

I recall car camping in Algonquin in the early 70's in Pog Lake, on campsites beside the river. Someone travelling the river was stealing unattended canoes left on the campsites. A couple went missing one year. The next time I went there I had purchased a chain and padlocked my canoe to a large pine... just in case this guy was out and about again,
but nothing was taken that year.
 Link to this message

yywilderness

Post Number: 4
Posted on Monday, June 6, 2011 - 8:57 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

In Montreal we have the opposite problem - see what I mean: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iw8gjrJevqQ
 Link to this message

ed
Post Number: 1030

Posted on Monday, June 6, 2011 - 9:45 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

That was good for a laugh.
I recall an earlier video made in Quebec of 2 guys paddling down a street(small wheels under the canoe) singing a voyageur song.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
Only registered users may post messages here. If you have cookies enabled, your username and password will automatically appear in the boxes. Register
Password:
Action:

Forums | Last Day | Last Week | Search | User List | Help/Rules Home