Forums Forums Help/Rules Help Edit Profile My Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search  
Ottertooth Forums * Canoeing and camping * Granite Gear canoe packs < Previous Next >

Link to this message

callmeishmael

Post Number: 1
Posted on Sunday, April 15, 2007 - 10:27 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

I bought the relatively small and very cheap Chinook Chemun portage pack last summer and it started coming apart at the seams during its first trip (ten days across Algonquin). As a result, I'm looking for any opinions and anecdotes to help me decide if I should buy the Granite Gear Superior One bag.

The reason I like the GG Superior One us that it seems to be well built and comes with a waist belt for around the same price as the Ostrom Nanabijou which is close in price but appears to be smaller and doesn't come with waist belt. The GG would seem to offer better value. Please share your experiences.

Looking on the bright side, I now have $75 bag for carrying kittens or cotton balls, if the need ever arises.
 Link to this message

rob_in_angus

Post Number: 31
Posted on Sunday, April 15, 2007 - 12:46 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

All I have heard is that Ostrom are a superior in fir and finish. I will be very interested in what your decision is and how the new pack fares.
 Link to this message

doublebend

Post Number: 3
Posted on Sunday, April 15, 2007 - 5:27 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

I'm a firm supporter of Granite Gear. I have an old-style Granite Gear Quetico pack (different from what they offer today) I've been using heavily since the late 1980's that has performed phenomenally. It's had a couple of minor repairs, but is still doing service. I use their compression bags, stuff sacks, chest pack, and a couple of years ago treated myself to one of their Great Northern canoe packs. I looked at the Ostrom pack, but decided on the Granite Gear because they offer a short torso version (I'm only 5'3"). Their bag is not as tall above the shoulders as the Ostrom bag, also a factor as I portage a solo canoe, and a tall pack pushes up on the seat causing woes on the portage trail. After having used it on a few trips I can attest to the postive aspects of the almost ObusForme-like properties of their frame sheet. This is the closest one can come to bliss while carrying your house on your back. I do regret not being able to find a comparable product from a Canadian source though.
 Link to this message

wild_child

Post Number: 10

Posted on Friday, February 1, 2008 - 7:32 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

I realize this is an old post but I thought I'd chime in. I've been using a Granite Gear Quetico for about 6 years now. I also have one of their bow bags - which I love. It attaches nicely to the outside of the pack for portaging.

I am used to a backpacker's pack with a stiff internal frame and ergonomic back.... so I was skeptical with using this type of canoe pack... but I love it.

My husband Bryan has a huge pack from them as well, a Superior One. He hasn't had a chance to try it but will do so this summer.
 Link to this message

doublebend

Post Number: 16
Posted on Wednesday, February 6, 2008 - 12:15 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

An update on the GG Nimbus Great Nothern pack...

My son blew out one of the shoulder strap attachments while we were on a trip in September. We were able to re-attach it using a different grommet, but the fit was bad, causing severe pinching between the shoulders. Got us home though.

I just got around to taking the straps back to the store I bought the pack from and hope to hear back next week. I'll let you know how it works out...
 Link to this message

doc

Post Number: 23
Posted on Thursday, February 25, 2010 - 9:14 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Does anyone have any fresh opinions on Granite Gear packs?

I am considering the Granite Gear Nimbus Great Northern mentioned by Doublebend. It is a little smaller but about $150 cheaper than a comparable Ostrom pack.

Thanks, Paul
 Link to this message

yellowcanoe

Post Number: 46

Posted on Thursday, April 29, 2010 - 2:27 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

I know this is an old thread, but Doublebend, do you still think good things about the GG Nimbus Great Northern? I have an Ostrom, but I'm looking for a second pack now.
 Link to this message

yellowcanoe

Post Number: 47

Posted on Friday, April 30, 2010 - 8:05 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Actually, I just learned that GG will be discontinuing Granite Gear Nimbus Great Northern...
 Link to this message

marlin55388

Post Number: 1
Posted on Sunday, May 2, 2010 - 12:19 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Granite Gear is good gear. But I have seen the construction quality slip a bit since I first started with them 20 years ago, especially when they went overseas in the compression bags, still bomber though and I am 5'-4" too. I run two of their solo packs and one of their quetico packs in combination with their thwart bags it make a nice system on the trail. Yawl may want to take a gander at Cooke Custom Sewing too...his gear has done many a mile in yur lands. Just a thought from the land down under. Great sil bug flys too, aka tundra tarps.
 Link to this message

doublebend

Post Number: 28
Posted on Sunday, May 2, 2010 - 12:33 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

I have a bit of a love/hate relationship with the Nimbus Great Northern. On my back it's the best I've carried. Thanks to its very efficient suspension system I can stand upright, walk without leaning forward and even look overhead without straining (try that with a tumpline...).

I typically load it to between 50 and 60 lbs, and then for portaging strap a 10lb tripod to it and load a 25lb Pelican box on top. Makes for a heavy load, but the GG helps make it manageable.

On the downside, I'm constantly inspecting the shoulder strap grommets for any sign of wear (see earlier post for explanation) and am careful how I pick it up and put it down to avoid strain on those points.

The other negative rests with the outstanding hip belt. The hard shell exterior distributes the load very well, but the straps complicate stacking multiple packs in a tandem boat and has a tendency to snag on gunwales and thwarts while loading and unloading my solo boat.

So, on the trail it gets top marks, but loses a few points in the canoe.

DoubleBend
 Link to this message

simonb
Post Number: 34

Posted on Monday, May 3, 2010 - 1:24 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

I can still remember my first real canoe trip to algonquin park about 15 years ago with an old external frame hiking pack donated by a loving Aunt. After 4 days with loose crap swinging and catching all over the place, I promptly went looking for a large internal frame pack.

I found a LARGE blackfeather pack at Trailhead, and have been using it ever since. It is about to see its 15th consecutive year tripping, and for the most part is still in great shape. You can still occasionally get the blackfeathers at trailhead, but for some reason they are no longer the same pack both in quality or size.

My old one has large padded hipbelts, and well padded shoulder straps. It came with a tumpline, but we found you could comfortably transfer enough of the load onto the hips that it was more bothersome than helpful. The new packs have spindly straps and a useless hipbelt. I really wish they would've left it alone, as I would like to have a second one for longer trips.

As for size, the old one was designed so that it fits 3 of the small food barrells, as well as having 2 full length tubes on the outside to stuff with easily accesible items. We generally load a food barrell at the bottom, and all the rest of our gear on top. It will hold enough for 2 people to do a 10 day trip, minus a seperate lunch and raingear pack for the canoe carrier. At the beginning of the trip the full load falls between 90 and 100 pounds. It takes an extreme heave to get it on your back, and if you wipe out you are the equivalent of a turtle on his back, but It is comfortable enough to do a 2km portage without rest.

If anyone can find and tell me what happened to these packs, I'd love to know. They were a great value at around $200 per pack.

Simon

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
Only registered users may post messages here. If you have cookies enabled, your username and password will automatically appear in the boxes. Register
Password:
Action:

Forums | Last Day | Last Week | Search | User List | Help/Rules Home