Forums Forums Help/Rules Help Edit Profile My Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search  
Ottertooth Forums * Canoeing and camping * Going Solo < Previous Next >

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
Archive through April 15, 2009ciderspy25 04-15-09  4:13 pm
  ClosedNew messages will be added after most recent message, not on archived pages        

Link to this message

preacher

Post Number: 33
Posted on Wednesday, April 15, 2009 - 5:16 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

An empty jug weighs next to nothing. There's more water at the end of the trail, unless you're paddling in a desert. Yep a drybag will work too, if you have extra.

Emptying balast water containers before you portage is a nice environmental thing to do anyway. Not that you would want to carry all that weight, heck you'd be silly to carry water beyond drinking water. You never know what you've scooped in your balast tanks & major freshwater shipping lanes have paid the price with invasive species from plants to microbes to animals.

A bottle that weighs a pound? Time for a new bottle not made of gold. ;-)

You're the biggest piece of balast in any canoe you solo. Omer Stringer's little booklet can teach you how to canoe without rocks in your pockets. I'm rarely one to agree with Sundown, but he's right. Knowledge and skill are better tools than rocks.

(Message edited by Preacher on April 15, 2009)
 Link to this message

ciderspy

Post Number: 7
Posted on Wednesday, April 15, 2009 - 9:52 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Unless someone reveals this magical force to replace the weight of a Tandum partner, in my canoes. I will all ways throw a rock or two in the bow. I hate sitting bow facing stern. And if this all means I'll have more drag, sink to the bottom of the black lake then it's a good way to go.
Peace out, and never let a cople white caps stop you..
 Link to this message

preacher

Post Number: 35
Posted on Thursday, April 16, 2009 - 11:17 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

There's nothing magical about it. Unless your canoe is an asym, sitting bow-backwards is the 2nd most correct way to go. The true correct way is to kneel in the middle, or use a kneeling thwart if you have one. Most asyms come with a kneeling thwart.

By all means, do it the way that works for you. Accept the risks and enjoy your time out there.
 Link to this message

micmac

Post Number: 69

Posted on Thursday, April 16, 2009 - 4:20 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

The truth of the matter is, adding weight to the bow of your canoe to compensate for wind, is a VERY dangerous practice.

Any weighted object in the bow of your canoe that is heavier than water, can create a hazard in the event of an upset, if said object becomes trapped in the canoe, or wedged under the bow deck.

A far smarter idea is to learn to paddle "properly", that is kneeling midship, or failing that, reverse the canoe, and sit in the bow seat.

I have never heard of any reputable paddling organization that would recommend adding ballast to your canoe, other than shifting the packs around to properly "trim" the craft.
 Link to this message

ghost

Post Number: 5
Posted on Sunday, July 5, 2009 - 9:12 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

I don't know about reputable organizations, but if you weigh 150 lbs and have 20 lbs of gear and the only available rental is an 18' Tandem, a water jug or two doesn't sound like a bad idea, especially if you're paddling into a stiff wind with whitecaps. If all you've got is a rock or two, mind how you toss it in or you could end up with a big hole in the boat.

Note: When I said use the bow seat facing backwards, of course I meant kneeling to form a tripod with two knees and your but just resting against the seat, not sitting on it.

By shifting your weight fore and aft while soloing, you can compensate for changes in a quartering wind to help reduce the correction part of your stroke.
 Link to this message

sundown

Post Number: 429
Posted on Monday, July 6, 2009 - 8:35 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

It's Ok Ghost... Most of the Best Bushmen I've Had the Privelege of Knowing/Learning From Never Put a Whole-Packsacka-Stock in 'Reputable Paddling Organizations' as the Be-All/End-All Anyway.

There's Nothin' Like a Suddenly Grey Circumstance to Alter a Black & White Hardfast Rule... Survival requires Adaptability and Lateral Thinking in Many Circumstances.

Best Bush Wisdom I Ever Heard, In Fact, Was "A Wise Man Ain't Always Silent... But, Knows When to Be". Always liked that one.

My Personal Advice, Is to Take All Inputs, and Sift... and, Never Be Afraid to Experiment With New Techniques Under Controlled Circumstances. If We Just Accepted Conventional Wisdom ALL the Time, We'd Still Believe the World Was Flat, Right?

Dont be Afraid to Whittle Away at the Edges.

Sundown
 Link to this message

canoebear

Post Number: 487
Posted on Tuesday, July 7, 2009 - 7:37 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

"otherwise stay in-tact"

Nothen missen, nothen injured,
be to 1's leverage, enteren tha wild edge.
Nothen bout it be-en stylish/or try
to make a fashion statement out of it.
Do it by good sound decision + judgment.
Weigh it all out. Do it by "feel"!
Just like tha blind do.
Pain causes 1's who venture way-in to concentrate. To be at 1's best of be-en
keen alert, especially when go-en-it-alone &
gets a bit roughed-U.P.
Be-en all well informed of lay-out of tha land
& tha variable weather at hand makes 1 more wise to tha wild go-en-ons.
Also good commen sense 'tis smart thinken of no-how to keep yer Bowie knife well sharpened.
No-en what to do, at tha quick makes solo explorer on expedition of discoveren unseen wateryways, to expedite in a pinch, at time of deep bewilderment.
ed & hillbilly hav more "true grip" then me
These 2 hav tha wear-with-all.
I don't do it alone, I'm team-orientated & don't hav tha guts + still learnen as I go farther into tha mix.
But, I no when to get out of tha grey clouds of rain & back-track to lean-2 encampment before tha sun-goes-down.
Be way before all of thems, tha ghostly savage beasts take charge of ther dark night.
Be advised before tha lamp light goes dim, Heya!
 Link to this message

water_tramp
Post Number: 10
Posted on Wednesday, November 25, 2009 - 12:48 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

I turn my Prospector end-for-end and because it's a symetrical see no need whatever to do anything else. I thank MicMac for his input because it's something I hadn't thought of, and I agree with you MicMac about the rock being dangerous, but a couple of one gallon jugs of water (dispicable plastic jugs instead of glass of course) wouldn't cause as much problem as rocks as the water is the same weight as the water, and the jugs will float. While tripping, I find my canoe is so well-loaded (I say as I pat myself on the back and as others have commented on including a professional whitewater instructor) with low centre of gravity and bow to stern balance, that it would take a real tsunami to upset it. I can stand up and dance in my loaded Prospector. Even with my Prospector empty, and reversed, the front end stays down on the water.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
Only registered users may post messages here. If you have cookies enabled, your username and password will automatically appear in the boxes. Register
Password:
Action:

Forums | Last Day | Last Week | Search | User List | Help/Rules Home