Forums Forums Help/Rules Help Edit Profile My Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search  
Ottertooth Forums * Canoeing and camping * Need help fixing 1950 wood canvas canoe < Previous Next >

Link to this message

pnwcanadian

Post Number: 1
Posted on Wednesday, May 30, 2007 - 9:56 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

I have a my dads 1950ís wood & canvas canoe (made in northern BC - north of Kitimat). Itís been well used and was in good shape until 5 years ago. Last month, I finally decided it was time to fully repair the canoe. This is what Iíve done so far:

Removed the gunwale strips. There were 2 strips on either side attached by screws. I was lucky all the screw came out cleanly.

Removed the bang plates at the bow & stern.
Removed the canvas. It was rotted and molded. There were already a few patches that were failing as well.

Over all, the boat looks great. The wood looks perfect. I think the major damage was rotting canvas. It is a great canoe and I want bring it back to its original beauty.

I live in Bellingham, WA but no one in this region deals with wood-canvas boats here. I do however have a friend with a canvas company who has many types of canvas but doesnt know anything else. Ive done some research but there is not much out there.

Please help! I know enough about repairing the canoe but re-canvasing...need help.

Link to this message

sundown

Post Number: 105
Posted on Wednesday, May 30, 2007 - 10:56 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

pnwcanadian

Try www.intheboatshed.net, or archives of
"Wooden Boat" magazine.

Sundown
 Link to this message

woodcanoe

Post Number: 1
Posted on Thursday, May 31, 2007 - 12:51 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

pnwcanadian-

There is a guy out your way name Pat Chapman who owns the Mcfarland Lake Canoe Company in Olympia. Ping me an email makobe@gis.net and I will give you his contact information. He is a full service, full time wood canvas canoe shop.
 Link to this message

sundown

Post Number: 111
Posted on Thursday, May 31, 2007 - 1:16 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

or, www.wcha.org... got sense you wanted to do yourself?

Sundown
 Link to this message

woodcanoe

Post Number: 2
Posted on Saturday, June 2, 2007 - 7:18 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Their (the wcha) website has been down for some time now and Patís website is hosted through theirs, so itís inaccessible at the moment. Pat, I am pretty sure, and like any other wood canvas canoe shop, will sell the appropriate materials that one would need to recanvas and repair their own canoe. Iím sure he would also provide other information and answer questions to get you pointed in the right direction.
 Link to this message

nemo
Post Number: 18
Posted on Thursday, June 14, 2007 - 10:32 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Google Bear Mountain Canoes. There site has a great builder forum wher you will be able to get lots of great advice and contacts.

http://www.bearmountainboats.com/phpbb2/index.php

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
Only registered users may post messages here. If you have cookies enabled, your username and password will automatically appear in the boxes. Register
Password:
Action:

Forums | Last Day | Last Week | Search | User List | Help/Rules Home