Forums Forums Help/Rules Help Edit Profile My Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search  
Ottertooth Forums * Off-topic * Canoe Pack < Previous Next >

Link to this message

neotericpilgrim

Post Number: 17
Posted on Friday, July 29, 2016 - 12:44 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Hi All,

I've recently been contemplating making my own canoe pack. I've done some research and have been able to find various plans and techniques I can use to accomplish same.

My issue is the canvas. Ideally I would like to use something durable and of good quality while keeping the cost relatively low. I'm looking for suggestions on what material to use as my canvas?? and also on where to purchase it??

I've recently visited a few local fabric shops and have came out empty handed. Any suggestions??
 Link to this message

brian

Post Number: 1767

Posted on Monday, August 1, 2016 - 8:28 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

I haven't seen a true canvas pack in a long time. I always liked the material that Keewaydin uses for their packs, as they call them, though they are more duffel bags tumped together. Now idea what it is.
 Link to this message

bearburrito

Post Number: 3
Posted on Wednesday, August 3, 2016 - 8:22 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

An older post in Myccr, you could PM Murat V to see how things worked out.

http://www.myccr.com/phpbbforum/viewtopic.php?f=20 &t=33280&hilit=Canvas+pack
 Link to this message

neotericpilgrim

Post Number: 18
Posted on Saturday, August 20, 2016 - 2:09 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Hey thanks for the replies! I know newer packs are lighter and nicer to look at but I have a thing with making my own original gear.

So far I continues to search... I've found some options online but still think if I find the right knowledge I can find something inexpensive and convert it to a pack.
 Link to this message

grncnu

Post Number: 415
Posted on Sunday, August 21, 2016 - 1:27 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

I don't know about modern plastic fabrics if you are going to actually hand-manufacture your own pack.
Why not use the original tried-and-true material, cotton canvas (it used to be called "duck" for its ability to shed water).
 Link to this message

neotericpilgrim
Post Number: 25
Posted on Sunday, June 11, 2017 - 4:39 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Hey guys just remembered this post and wanted to update on my progress so far. I managed to find good quality canvas locally from Artic canvas in north bay. They were also more then happy to help me with making the pack and could of went as far as have had it made by them.

I've since made my plans and collected all my materials but have yet to start. (I know long term project lol)

I'll be sure to post a picture once it's done! hanks to everyone whos helped me out so far!

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
Only registered users may post messages here. If you have cookies enabled, your username and password will automatically appear in the boxes. Register
Password:
Action:

Forums | Last Day | Last Week | Search | User List | Help/Rules Home