Forums Forums Help/Rules Help Edit Profile My Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search  
Ottertooth Forums * Off-topic * Looking for paddlers or a trip to join < Previous Next >

Link to this message

julierainynight

Post Number: 1
Posted on Monday, June 7, 2010 - 10:52 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Hello,

I'm looking to join an existing group or find people to go canoeing with. How can I use this site to help me find what I'm looking for?

Thank you for any suggestions.
Julie
 Link to this message

ed

Post Number: 839

Posted on Tuesday, June 8, 2010 - 7:54 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Julie, leave this post up to see if anyone responds. You could also go to www.myccr.com and post there.
Not sure where you live, but if it is Toronto, there are groups there that solicit canoe trip members and they participate in group trips.You might consider that. A number of smaller cities have canoeing clubs that attempt to find people interested in joining for the purpose of assembling trips.
 Link to this message

erhard

Post Number: 37
Posted on Tuesday, June 8, 2010 - 9:41 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

One of those groups is the WCA: there are trips of all kinds and they are open to all. Take a look at

http://www.wildernesscanoe.ca/WCA_home

(you find their "Outings" link on the left side of their web page) and see whether something suits you for a trial trip...
 Link to this message

preacher
Post Number: 129
Posted on Tuesday, June 8, 2010 - 2:16 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Also might help to post your tripping experience level. White water, flat water, pack weight, trips taken...the sort of thing that would indicate your skill level.

Tripping is, for me, a very personal experience. I wouldn't ever include a complete stranger. Personalities clash in the close quarters of canoe and campsite with limited resources and diversions.

Building a community of reliable paddlers to team up with for trips became such a pain for me that I decided to start solo tripping. Now every trip is planned as solo, friends are always welcome to accompany me on my trips.

I wouldn't expect much action from this thread regarding finding someone to paddle with. It's not that far from picking a random stranger off the street and spending your vacation with them. There are public/community gatherings organised by individuals on many of the community discussion boards. September every year has the Changing Of The Seasons weekend on Obabika.

One very active group is the Durham Region Outdoors Club, if you're in the GTA. Local clubs in your area may exist.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
Only registered users may post messages here. If you have cookies enabled, your username and password will automatically appear in the boxes. Register
Password:
Action:

Forums | Last Day | Last Week | Search | User List | Help/Rules Home