Forums Forums Help/Rules Help Edit Profile My Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search  
Ottertooth Forums * Off-topic * Really..kind of dumb question < Previous Next >

Link to this message

dave

Post Number: 190
Posted on Thursday, July 1, 2010 - 11:39 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

since i'm a cottager, i rarely ever do multiple night camping trips (i know, terrible, right?)..but this weekend i will be, and i'm curious..what's the best way to keep food/drinks cold for 3 days? before anyone laughs and says "a cooler", when it's 30 degrees out, everything melts. so is there some trick i'm missing or something?
 Link to this message

lorrain

Post Number: 26
Posted on Friday, July 2, 2010 - 9:27 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Freeze pop bottles full of water. They last the longest and no mess. If you need ice for a beverage just cut one up.
 Link to this message

preacher

Post Number: 141
Posted on Friday, July 2, 2010 - 10:33 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

The only fresh food I bring is usually some frozen meat for the first night.

Many items we refrigerate do not need it. Eggs for example. Cheese too, the firmer the better.

I know of some trippers who bring bacon and aparantly it's still good after a week.

Parmalat sells 1L tetra boxes of milk that only need the fridge after opened. If you go through 1L in a day or two, you'll be fine.

Beverages can be cooled down using the lake. Plastic bottles only pls. Even a wet towel wrapped around a bottle will chill it down.
 Link to this message

dave

Post Number: 191
Posted on Friday, July 2, 2010 - 10:43 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

good tips! thanks
 Link to this message

simonb

Post Number: 36

Posted on Friday, July 2, 2010 - 12:32 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Don't laugh but "coolers" can work.

I've taken one of the coleman extreme coolers on a luxury camping trip in 30 degree weather and still had cold BEvERages on day six. The true secret is to place half a block of dry ice below 2 bags of cubes.

WARNING: DO NOT USE THE WHOLE BLOCK OF DRY ICE

If you use a whole block, the cooler will freeze everything solid. Trust me it is very painful having to wait for your drink to thaw out while sitting in the sunshine.

Also be careful that nothing is in direct contact with the dry ice, or it will likely freeze (including your skin).

When you purchase a block, it usually comes wrapped in heavy brown paper. Cut it in half, and rewrap in paper, then put in a plastic bag and tie off. This will help protect probing fingers from accidentally getting frostbite.

Simon
 Link to this message

kayamedic
Post Number: 23
Posted on Friday, July 2, 2010 - 3:39 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

take a mini collapsible cooler and put your cold items in, wrapped in a cotton towel.

Keep the towel wet but not sopping.

Keep the cooler out of the sun.

Welcome to the world of evaporative cooling which was a household staple long before AC units became available.

This method is still used in the desert and continental climates. Evaporation doesnt work well in the tropics.

This has kept food cold for two weeks..no reason it cannot keep this way forever.

Keeping yourself cool on portages follows the same principle. Wear a tight weave cotton twill shirt and soak it before starting your hike.

Or at least a wet bandanna will make the chore easier.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
Only registered users may post messages here. If you have cookies enabled, your username and password will automatically appear in the boxes. Register
Password:
Action:

Forums | Last Day | Last Week | Search | User List | Help/Rules Home