Forums Forums Help/Rules Help Edit Profile My Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search  
Ottertooth Forums * Expedition rigging * Fav. Expedition Canoe < Previous Next >

Link to this message

four_eyez

Post Number: 16
Posted on Wednesday, February 16, 2005 - 10:13 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Just a random question/ basis for discussion: You have discovered a month of your summer in which you'll have the oppurtunity to head out on a canoe expedition somewhere... anywhere. Maybe longer or shorter, but a trip 2 weeks or beyond, none the less. What canoe do you bring along. This can be based on something you own and/or have paddled, so what canoes you've experienced; this can be based on where you have been pr want to go. But basically: what is your favorite expedition canoe?

Personally, I like anything prospectuer style, 17 or 18 feet. I've used a "Trailhead" before, was nice. Also, the Esquif Canyon I paddled on the same trip this summer (two types of canoes in the groups 25 days northern Quebec this summer); bouncy and bouyent, so lovely in whitewater but annoying on flatwater waves.
I perfer prospecteurs though; they seem ideal most so for differing conditions encourntered on canoe expeditions.
 Link to this message

bateaux

Post Number: 7
Posted on Tuesday, February 22, 2005 - 1:20 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

A brand-new 18' Chestnut Prospector, hands down. A bit heavy to carry, but it handles as well with 400 lbs of gear as it does empty.

I've done month-long wilderness trips to the Bay in both wood-canvas and Roylex, and the wood is so much faster on flatwater, that I don't mind the occasional carry around a particularly scratchy rapid. Not to mention the asthetic pleasure...
 Link to this message

ghost_brigade

Post Number: 12
Posted on Saturday, April 9, 2005 - 2:32 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

four eyez,

For me it is a 17'prospector. Not so long as to get you tangled on twisty portages, can easily carry a summer worths of gear and supplies. Hands down the most aesthetically pleasing. I have both a 16' and 17' and soon getting a Royal lite 17'. I have paddled lots of different designs and keep going to the prospector. I would suggest that you try a few differnt hulls before you buy. If your looking for more speed a asymetrical design may be the answer. My original design Dumoine is a great canoe and serves me well. But for my type and style the Prospectors rule. Both are made by Nova Craft and I believe the trailhead Prospector you paddled is also a Nova Craft. They have stayed true to the original Peterborough Canoe Co. specs. All canoes have there pros and cons. so paddle as many as you can. Canoes rule.
 Link to this message

bush_pilot

Post Number: 62

Posted on Sunday, April 10, 2005 - 9:48 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Has anyone tried Bluewater canoes, the 16'6" Saugeen in particular. I'm in the market for a new boat.
 Link to this message

mdprus

Post Number: 16
Posted on Monday, April 11, 2005 - 10:39 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

If you live in the Toronto area, you might want to check out Evergreen canoes. They also make the Prospector style.
 Link to this message

canoebear

Post Number: 247
Posted on Thursday, May 26, 2005 - 6:45 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

[Nova Craft Prospectors ?]

Fer canoe camp carren campaign into "Tha True NE",
by-way-of tha 16', 17'/or 18' in royalex,
be tha most dependable fit, to keep company with Nova Craft?
R they tha greatest wilderness canoes made-up?
Here tell initial lay-out of 'tis canoe builder
has been right-on from tha get-go.
Up to now, hav not, happened-up on 1 yet to
paddle about.
Did I miscalculate by missen tha boat/or
is this canoe, just keepen-up with tha old tradition of Ontario, Heya?
 Link to this message

john_v

Post Number: 21
Posted on Friday, May 27, 2005 - 8:48 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

I agree with Canoebear. A Prospector is always my canoe of choice. Not too sure about Nova Craft though. I'm not saying I think they are no good, just saying I don't know. I have heard that Bluewater has excellent vacuum bagging techniques if you are looking for a Kevlar boat.
 Link to this message

canoebear

Post Number: 249
Posted on Sunday, May 29, 2005 - 9:14 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

"To be/or not to be, 'tis to ask about."

Historical Bill Mason with-in his lonsome 16' initial Prospector canoe be etched in granit round shoals as a bench mark, always to Bear.
What makes a Prospector, a fer-real True North wilderness exploren double-end pointed canoe?
With imitation, propells clap of paddles, & a
paddle splash at times toward tha fer-real thin.
When canoe makers R able to move ther pointed
canoes in flat/or fast free waters, they follow
passer-by Canadian wakes.
So many Prospector Canoes R be-en copied, as we speak, hall, I lost count after bout 20/or so.
Tha traditional Native shape, tha genuine formula equation along with versions of interpretations,
hav been changed.
To grasp old wooden paddle of tha canoe past is
to follow them & ther view notions.
In a quest to move canoe farther North in
Land of Lakes Backcountry, change 'tis constant;
change 'tis inevitable, & so is take-offs from
tha think-up of Native core of discover design.
To canoe, 'tis to move, to forge ahead, any-how/or way!
Even demonstrated confirmed differences lend a paddle wher sum open-canoe-mindedness floats
true, far out, of harms way.
Presence of "Copy-Cats" R keepen-up tha safeguard of Native North Wilderness Canoe Portage Encamp past path. I surely tip my broad brim olive green campaign felt hat, with red tail hawk feather & metal Native symbols, to tribute all of them.
Wife & I paddle choice 'twas to canoe paddle tha Mohawk Tribe Way, thru tha savage NE wher Black Bears be.
"Keep Tha Past Alive!"
Fer Prospector's Canoe decision & indecision
range of variety posibilities ask tha Turtle,
fer, Tha Turtle no's how to float, Heya!
 Link to this message

paul_hammersten

Post Number: 204
Posted on Monday, May 30, 2005 - 9:22 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Beauty before me
Beauty behinf me
Above and below me hovers the beautiful
I am surrounded be it
I am immershed in it
In my youth I was aware of it
And in old age I will paddle the beautiful trail.

http://www.chestnutcanoecompany.com/

Best

The Turtle
 Link to this message

canoebear

Post Number: 250
Posted on Monday, May 30, 2005 - 4:33 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

"Anticipated Fall of Leaf Outlook"

'Tis no spring moon/nor summer moon beauty
hav such take-in appeal, as Mohawk Wife & I
hav seen in season of autumn fall, wher harvest gatheren, colored aglow moon face sets/or fix it's lamp-sight on NE pristine water-mirror woods mix, "Wher Black Bears Be".
A thin of beauty isn't caused, it just is,
ther fer viewen with 1's mind.
Be-en ther, paddlen a Prospector Canoe wood
look forward to explore + view Turtle's landscape in. Heya!

Link to this message

gummy

Post Number: 2
Posted on Sunday, September 17, 2006 - 5:38 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Has anyone had any experience with the Pak boat canoes. I would like so first had info
 Link to this message

water_tramp

Post Number: 3
Posted on Sunday, November 22, 2009 - 4:57 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

I go two month trips solo, use a 16' Prospector but wish I had a 17' Prospector, fibreglass kevlar for weight and price. I wouldn't paddle anything but a Prospector, but wish I'd bought another manufacturer besides the Evergreen, as the inner gunwhale edge is sharp and can cut rope and hands, especially hands if you drop your canoe while lifting or carrying. Personally, I like the Nova Craft.
 Link to this message

burtjames

Post Number: 64
Posted on Monday, November 23, 2009 - 1:56 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

I have paddled both asymmetrical and symmetrical boat designs over trips of 2 weeks and the difference between them over that time frame was negligible. The asymmetrical boats were definitely faster in open water but lacked the secondary stability you sometimes need in heavy chop. I found the designs about the same in moving water, although insert the caveat that I never negotiated anything beyond a Class II in either.
 Link to this message

kayamedic

Post Number: 6
Posted on Monday, November 23, 2009 - 6:45 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Secondary stability is found in well designed asym boats. Most boats are asym in design.

Asymmetry can be found in differential rocker and also in wateline shape. Those with less rocker in the rear tend to be sticky in moving water than those with symmetrical rocker. The asym rocker is said to compensate for less than ideal paddling technique..ie to help keep going straight.

I have a Prospector and three other symmetrical boats..both in wateline shape and rocker. Also 14 other canoes(asymmetrical). All can be heeled to the rail without dumping.

For a trip of a month in Temagami I can fit into a dedicated solo. Hemlock Peregrine is my favorite as it is also a great hiking boat.
 Link to this message

canoebear
Post Number: 514
Posted on Sunday, November 29, 2009 - 2:56 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

"chance upon"

To venture-UP + out into tha remote, wher 1 has never been before, on unexplored pristine quiet waters. wow!
Be-en ther, to experience a journey packed full of high adventure, admid tha colour rugged beauty with-in tha wildness of raw nature & all it's dwellers.
A canoe that be properly trimmed with pak saks stuffed with no-how, skill, practice trainen, as well as, hands-on-experience will determine paddlers out-come.
That ther canoe, doesn't matter what color/or rough shade it be, will fer sur, get 1 to 1's destination & back to, a safe take-out-end.
If it worked well in tha past, it will peform true agin. Battle scares on a canoe 'tis sur testimony of proof that its been to hall & back agin. Be tha real deal of a portage canoe.
That wood be tha right expedition canoe, canoe fer U, Heya water_tramp!

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
Only registered users may post messages here. If you have cookies enabled, your username and password will automatically appear in the boxes. Register
Password:
Action:

Forums | Last Day | Last Week | Search | User List | Help/Rules Home