Forums Forums Help/Rules Help Edit Profile My Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search  
Ottertooth Forums * Expedition rigging * High Tech On The Long Trip < Previous Next >

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
Archive through April 2, 2004blackfox_dave10 04-2-04  8:32 pm
  ClosedNew messages will be added after most recent message, not on archived pages        

Link to this message

kim

Post Number: 25

Posted on Saturday, April 3, 2004 - 8:53 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Dave
When I rented one 2 months ago, no deposit was required.
Had to give a credit card number for airtime and for potential loss or damage to the unit.
Even comes in a semi waterproof case.
 Link to this message

blackfox_dave

Post Number: 2
Posted on Sunday, April 4, 2004 - 2:03 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Thanking you as always very helpfull Kim.
Im out for a Paddle with Pete on Monday.and will make sure that they rent the two sets from the above...
I see from the satelite photos that it looks like you have had a little snow in your parts over the weekend.
The wife and myself are keeping our fingers crossed hopeing for warm weather so all of you can get on the water soon...

wish you all good luck from the UK
Dave
Canadian's in the uk
 Link to this message

ed

Post Number: 47

Posted on Sunday, April 4, 2004 - 3:51 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Blackfox:
I trust that you have not been cooking any more Hi-Tech turkeys with popping corn in them have you?
 Link to this message

blackfox_dave

Post Number: 3
Posted on Sunday, April 4, 2004 - 10:16 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Hi ya Ed no iv gone old-tech after the mess that it made in the oven....got a load of goose eggs to day when I was out on the water...the wife has taken the plug off the mirowave as I was about to try a egg in it.....did I tell you about the homemade dehydrator...it went up in smoke last week...but boy is the jerky good..and also about the boil-in-the bag rice..have a look on ccr.
I think that Kim is right I should stop drinking..that stuff that I make(Firewater)and keep that beer on ice for me Kim...They dint have a clue about the Temagami issue's at Canada House in London but they do now...bump bump-bump...

I was talking about you all on this fourm to some of the group that we are sending out this year and said it's was a pity that we dint know about this fourm first as we would have got a very quick reply to our post about gsm phone cover in the Algonquin area but as we now know it will have to be two sat phones as the group totals 20 on the water..agine thanks to all with the help that was given and I will talk to you all soon as I am about to start planing for a rece group of five leaders to come out to Temagami 2005

oh.."Brians Book" please tell me more

Dave (Canadian's in England)
 Link to this message

brian

Post Number: 150

Posted on Monday, April 5, 2004 - 10:30 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Blackfox, which book are you asking about?
 Link to this message

blackfox_dave

Post Number: 4
Posted on Monday, April 5, 2004 - 2:16 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Hi Brian pleased to meet you.
I was reading someware on the fourm that you are writing a book.. or had wrote one...not knowing you I thought I'd ask...as Temagami is a area of Canada I am very found of last being on the lakes when I was about ten with my dad and it is very hard to find any reading matter in the UK...it is so nice to see the photo's that bush_pilot has posted and a upto date book to show the Kid's at home would be very cool..one son of 18 this year who canoes with me..now..has been overlaying bush_pilot's photos to my maps..I may have got it all wrong...but he is very keen to put your photo with a book and say to his mates down at the canoe club My dad know's. that man...

Nice Talking to you Brian

Blackfox
 Link to this message

blackfox_dave

Post Number: 5
Posted on Monday, April 5, 2004 - 2:27 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Quote your post to Kim,,, Brian...

"Thanks, Kim. Yes, an incredible amount of work. It has been long overdue, but the book had to get done first"

That's whot my son has picked up on ...

Blackfox
 Link to this message

brian

Post Number: 152

Posted on Monday, April 5, 2004 - 6:06 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

I am working on a combined human and natural history/atlas of Temagami. I just finished The Keewaydin Way, which is the history of Keewaydin. It has lots of photos and maps (437 to be precise), much covering Temagami history, such as HBC post at Bear Island, Old Misabi, etc.
 Link to this message

blackfox_dave

Post Number: 7
Posted on Monday, April 5, 2004 - 6:14 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Hi Brian

Sounds very good to us Kyle and myself cant wait to order a copy from you..if and when ready to sell..drop us an email with your paypal info and total cost to post to the uk..
Thanks

Blackfox
 Link to this message

ed

Post Number: 48

Posted on Monday, April 5, 2004 - 7:57 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Hey Blackfox:
Did you find the other part of this site and read all the stuff on Temagami? That's where you can read about our Native friend Alex Mathias who lives on Obabika Lake and our resident author/canoeist/ activist/ artist et al. Hap Wilson. Also Brian has write ups on the loggers and what they are up to. Very informative stuff.
Regards,
Ed.

Also, I noticed in one of your posts, that some of your associates are going to come over to canoe in Algonquin. You mentioned there are 20 of them. Are they aware that they are only allowed 9 people per campsite?(I think)That means they would have to try and arrange for about 3 separate sites, which might be difficult for them.
 Link to this message

blackfox_dave

Post Number: 8
Posted on Monday, April 5, 2004 - 9:38 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Hi Ed
Reading up all the information I can on Temagami..I dint know that was The Brian Back...nice chap..

The group that is coming out are 24 split up in to little groups They will be paddling in five or six groups supported by about 10 staff this is for the The Gold Duke of Edinburgh's Award 16-20 years old... the staff are very highley trained wilderness paddlers with years of paddling all types of waters around the world..they have to be as this is the only way that they would be able
to take a group out like this..in the UK...never mind out to Canada....

I have spent the last two years re-training..just to take small groups out on uk waters.peacefull little rivers.and yet still have more work to do....

Pete had this to say about the trip:::::
To clarify a few points the young people are aged between 16 and 20, they are all coming from the UK, and each of the groups will be unaccompanied by staff and paddling different routes over an eight day period. The apparent high staffing ratio allows us to check up on each of the groups on a regular basis and have some fun of our own. All participants have basic first aid qualifications and British Canoe Union 3 star personal skills qualifications. All the staff have paddled in remote areas before and all visited the Park last year 2003 to investigate the possibilites of running the trip..

Some more info at about the DOE awards http://www.theaward.org/involved/index.php

The Leader training is a good thing I think...it's a pain some times when planing trips ie.. lack of skills and lack of Leaders with even the most basic of trips with the canoe club.....

I paddle a lot with the open Canoe association over here in the UK but not just a UK based club they have members all over the place and most of them have paddled North Canada and know what Im on about...never ever had to go round a camp site and pick up any rubbish when your out with them....

Petes post on ccr was Communications in Algonquin
the thread went all over the place..untill Kim, C_Mel. Ascool. tripper_dave, normhead put some very good input in to it all........and it was good to see all of the above on this forum.I dont think normhead is here yet though .Ed when you said come along and have a look...

I Cant wait for the day when I can shake you hand and say thanks to you...Ed

I am very much looking forward to talking to Alex Mathias when comeing out next year.

Also paddling with Hillbilly will be fun..

Im out for 3 weeks but have to spend some time with Becky M..picking up some of her teching skills..to be put into good use.......

Talk to you all soon
Blackfox
Canadian's in England
 Link to this message

blackfox_dave

Post Number: 9
Posted on Monday, April 5, 2004 - 9:48 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

I have a old copy of hap's book I did not know he was still alive... sorry Hap..I did not mean to be rude.but the book has been up there on the book case a very long time...
 Link to this message

lefty

Post Number: 1
Posted on Sunday, February 20, 2005 - 5:19 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Thanks for the info. on the sat. phones in Guelph from last year. Can anyone up-date me on this service or other providers at a good price?

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
Only registered users may post messages here. If you have cookies enabled, your username and password will automatically appear in the boxes. Register
Password:
Action:

Forums | Last Day | Last Week | Search | User List | Help/Rules Home