Forums Forums Help/Rules Help Edit Profile My Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search  
Ottertooth Forums * Expedition rigging * Digital Maps < Previous Next >

Link to this message

tony_way

Post Number: 2
Posted on Friday, May 28, 2004 - 10:44 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

I recently bought Fugawi digital maps and software from Northport Systems, Toronto, www.fugawi.com and am really pleased with how they simplify route planning.
"Fugawi Canada Maps" includes each province (CAN$100/US$72 each, except pending 2004: Nunavut, NWT, Yukon CAN$200/US$144 each; I bought Quebec) with all NRC 1:50,000 & 1:250,000 maps stitched in large sets with a rudimentary viewing program.
"Fugawi 3 GPS Mapping Software" (CAN$149/US$99; free downloadable demo available) allows plotting a route complete with distances and rough elevation changes. Elevation files from government sites (ftp://edcsgs9.cr.usgs.gov/pub/data/srtm/North_Amer ica_3arcsec/) has much finer lateral resolution (100m) elevations which appear to be extrapolated horizontally for fairly smooth elevations. Selected map sections can can be printed on 8x11" or 8x14".
I don't have a GPS yet so I haven't tried the uploading capabilities.

Tony.
 Link to this message

brian

Post Number: 203

Posted on Saturday, May 29, 2004 - 10:34 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Tony, are you saying this usgs files can be read by the Fugawi software?
 Link to this message

tony_way

Post Number: 5
Posted on Wednesday, June 2, 2004 - 3:09 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Brian: Yes, "Fugawi Mapping" reads these USGS files as elevation files (shuttle radar) for their cartographic files. "Fugawi Canada Maps" files have very crude elevations (lateral resolution = miles? not feet). www.fugawi.com/dem/demdownload.html has a link to ftp://edcsgs9.cr.usgs.gov/pub/data/srtm which is the parent to the 3arcsecond (304ft lateral resolution) *.hgt files (see above) in 1 degree blocks (69x69mi; ca. 2Gb zipped to ca. 1Gb), including all NA from 15-60deg N. These SRTM files let me see the bumpy drops through long rapids. Tony.
 Link to this message

brian

Post Number: 211

Posted on Wednesday, June 2, 2004 - 3:50 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Can you see the haystacks and eddies too?
 Link to this message

tony_way

Post Number: 6
Posted on Friday, June 18, 2004 - 11:59 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Only on the summer maps, in the winter maps they are frozen flat.
 Link to this message

blackfox_dave

Post Number: 37
Posted on Friday, June 18, 2004 - 3:19 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Hi Tony very usefull post thanks for the link I see they have a U.K site with uk maps very handy.

I use infoMap with a usb Gps unit on the laptop pluged in to the 4x4 the software is very good and gives me live voice navigation and is 100% more relible then the wife with a map ha ha.....http://www.directions.ltd.uk

I also use memory-map as well gives me 1:50,000 Southen England very much like your Fugawi software but a lot more cost to me it is very expensive to get the full set and only covers the uk...www.memory-map.co.uk good software one thing that I like is the 3d maping very usefull when teaching navigation to a class.

I must say having looked at Fugawi's uk web site the software is at a very good price and I am very tempted to get it as I can also use this in Canada.

Again thanks for the very usefull post.

Blackfox
 Link to this message

blackfox_dave

Post Number: 42
Posted on Sunday, June 20, 2004 - 2:46 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Just playing around with Memory-map on the laptop also got a download of Fugawi's to play with and have found out that with m/map I can also download and view usgs map data the free one's and at http://www.memory-map.com I can get maps for Canada Iv been useing this software for over a year now I think the Candaian maps must be new to the market, we have a A3 printer at work and I print off the maps that I wont and we make them watertight by puting the maps into a large ziplock bag and useing gafer tape to make a good seal.
Another good link is at http://www.maptown.com/
they have been trading for 14 years now and always given a good service.

Maps in 3d and with the laptop with a usb gps unit it will pinpoint us on the map. Not that Im into paddling with the laptop but when with a large group of 10-16 years old on the water they look see and learn.

Blackfox
 Link to this message

tony_way

Post Number: 7
Posted on Tuesday, June 22, 2004 - 4:43 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Dave,
Thanks for the info about Memory-Map. I am going to try the demo and see if it can 3-D my dream Ungava route using the Fugawi digital maps and the 3-arcsecond SRTM elevations.
Tony
 Link to this message

blackfox_dave

Post Number: 48
Posted on Wednesday, June 23, 2004 - 3:00 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Let us Know how you get on Tony the over thing that I like about this type of software is if takeing a group out you can email them a map and hope that they will get to the right put in place.

Blackfox
 Link to this message

paul_hammersten

Post Number: 81
Posted on Wednesday, June 23, 2004 - 1:51 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Neat Map!

My... my!...trip planning has sure made a giant step in this hi tech age. Who would have dreamed...

Best

Paul
 Link to this message

tony_way

Post Number: 9
Posted on Monday, June 28, 2004 - 5:09 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Dave,
Unfortunately, Memory-Map can not read Fugawi's *.fx4 proprietary format.
Tony.
 Link to this message

blackfox_dave

Post Number: 51
Posted on Monday, June 28, 2004 - 10:52 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Hi Tony did you go to http://www.memory-map.com/ as there are 3 types of software Memory-Map Navigator is the one and will Use USGS & NOAA maps on your PC or Pocket PC.

Blackfox
 Link to this message

blackfox_dave

Post Number: 52
Posted on Monday, June 28, 2004 - 11:04 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Ah your right Tony. Maps that are FX4 format can only be used with the Fugawi software. memory map should read USGS maps for you,

Blackfox
 Link to this message

blackfox_dave

Post Number: 53
Posted on Monday, June 28, 2004 - 11:07 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

http://members.shaw.ca/pdops/samplemaps.html
Nice link to try out some sample maps in loads of formats

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
Only registered users may post messages here. If you have cookies enabled, your username and password will automatically appear in the boxes. Register
Password:
Action:

Forums | Last Day | Last Week | Search | User List | Help/Rules Home