Forums Forums Help/Rules Help Edit Profile My Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search  
Ottertooth Forums * North northwest * Pingualuit Provincial Park < Previous Next >

Link to this message

freecam

Post Number: 4
Posted on Thursday, October 12, 2006 - 9:15 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

My partner and I wish to organize an expedition to the Pingualuit Crater situated 61N 73W in Northern Quebec.

First I wish to point out this is not a canoe trip.

Pingualuit Provincial Park has been under construction for several years. Recently a landing strip has been built but we do not know the status. The provincial plan has called for trails and platforms to accomodate visitors as well as shelters and permanent buildings. Again the information is sketchy. To our knowledge no regular service, air or ground, is yet available to the crater site. The only way to get there is by floatplane or helicopter from Kuujuaq, Quebec.

I have contacted Air Inuit on many occasions and their air charter service from Kuujuaq by Otter floatplane makes the park accessible. However the cost is prohibitive for only two people. The Otter can accommodate 9 people plus gear and is the most reliable means of transportation in that area. A charter there and back (drop off and pick up later)is about $13,000. CDN. Finding more people willing to go would make the trip possible.

The floatplane would set down on Lac Laflamme, about 4 KM from the crater itself.

To get to Kuujuaq from the south we have considered two possibilities. One is a commercial flight (about $2000 per person) from Montreal. The other is my partner's plane (non-commercial) to get to Kuujuaq from Labrador City. My partner has a 4-seater Cardinal which could do relays to Kuujuaq from Labrador City.

Car transportation may be available to get to Labrador City, our starting point. The trip to Labrador City from Montreal is about 16 hours so depending on what you want to do....

Our intended stay is about 1 week of exploration plus the travel time to and from. The target date is August 1, 2007 but this can be altered plus or minus 2 weeks to meet everyone's schedules. This is the only viable time of year to go because of weather conditions. The crater thaws in late July and freezes up in mid-August

At this point I want to open the forum to parties who might be interested in visiting Pingualuit Crater with an organized charter. I have an extensive database on the crater and my partner is an expert in impact craters.

This is a non-profit venture and an experience of a lifetime.

Regards,
Freecam
 Link to this message

irishfield

Post Number: 81

Posted on Thursday, October 12, 2006 - 9:37 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

I wish you much success on your adventure. Just don't end it early by trying to put 4 people and gear into a Cardinal!

Cheers,
 Link to this message

freecam
Post Number: 7
Posted on Sunday, October 15, 2006 - 10:32 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Thanks. No we're planning relays of 2 people plus gear. BTW if you know anyone else in Kuujuaq with a floatplane let me know. We've had no success finding a smaller plane than an Otter to do this job. Also if you have suggestions on how I might be able to contact the public for this trip.

Regards,
Freecam

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
Only registered users may post messages here. If you have cookies enabled, your username and password will automatically appear in the boxes. Register
Password:
Action:

Forums | Last Day | Last Week | Search | User List | Help/Rules Home