Forums Forums Help/Rules Help Edit Profile My Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search  
Ottertooth Forums * Temagami portage/campsite watch * Parks < Previous Next >

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
Archive through January 8, 2013brian25 01-8-13  9:34 am
  ClosedNew messages will be added after most recent message, not on archived pages        

It is important to detail the problem or suggestion.
It is also important to note if you viewed the problem yourself (or if you heard this elsewhere) and when you observed it.

Reports only. Please take discussion to another forum.

Link to this message

scottb

Post Number: 8
Posted on Tuesday, January 8, 2013 - 3:42 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

My uncle Jack stopped camping there about two years ago. He used to take great care of that spot, but he is getting to old to go up anymore.
 Link to this message

brian

Post Number: 1500

Posted on Wednesday, January 9, 2013 - 9:18 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Too bad. People like your uncle are good friends of Temagami, but don't get credit for what they do. There are a few around who look after campsites and portages and trails. Our thanks to them.
 Link to this message

ed

Post Number: 1207

Posted on Wednesday, January 9, 2013 - 8:11 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

I remember the BBQ on that site. The last time I was there, it was filled up with kindling and there was a neatly stacked pile of wood beside it.
No table or other junk around then....well except for the outhouse, but that one was put together with several old signs. I think I may have posted a picture of it somewhere here on ottertooth.
Haven't been over there since about 2007.
 Link to this message

scottb

Post Number: 11
Posted on Saturday, January 12, 2013 - 8:42 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

I am fascinated by the nastawgan trail map. I have recently bought one. It looks like Round Lake(Wawiagama) was an important hub for winter and summer travel. Does anyone have more specifics on the history of this area? My Dad always told me that a Native fellow named Charlie Moore and his family used to live on the west side of round in the sixties and seventies and go over to the lumber camp to trade fish for their bologna.
 Link to this message

brian

Post Number: 1502

Posted on Sunday, January 13, 2013 - 10:28 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

I am an old friend of a Moore, Rita O'Sullivan. She spent many years there. There were quite a few of the family living there, until L&F burned their cabins in the 1960s when they were away at Bear Island. I wonder how many of us would tolerate our family homes, with our possessions inside, burned by government?
 Link to this message

undecidable

Post Number: 5
Posted on Friday, July 24, 2015 - 10:11 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

A few large blown down trees on the 2 miler from Lady Evelyn River to Diamond Lake July 23rd, 2015.
 Link to this message

darlh

Post Number: 12
Posted on Thursday, September 29, 2016 - 9:45 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

I'll put this in this sub-forum, it seems the 'best fit' to me.
West Montreal River Provincial Park
Portage from Rankin Lake to Duncan Lake
After 10m the trail degrades to post holing through clearcut debris. After 600m the portage is re-established on a rock ridge for about 150m, then becomes quite elusive for several hundred metres until the logging road. The far side of the logging road (towards Duncan Lake) is blazed but the blazed trees are horizontal and although old flagging tape is also present only a determined bushwhack gets through to water. The Duncan Lake trailhead is flagged, but no trail is present.
It was four hours and 4.5kms of single carrying to complete the 1600m distance. Attachment (if it works) has a cleaned up version with trail seeking wanderings removed.
application/octet-stream
West Montreal Ottertooth.gpx (47.0 k)
 Link to this message

brian

Post Number: 1791

Posted on Tuesday, October 11, 2016 - 2:17 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

A lot can be done passing on this info. Thanks.

There have been a lot of blowdowns and winter knockdowns in the area the last two years. I did a lot of work on the upper Yorston River and Witch's Crossover in August. The last few years I have been carrying some light equipment so I can simply keep moving in some areas.
 Link to this message

heatherlynne7
Post Number: 1
Posted on Sunday, January 15, 2017 - 3:42 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Solace/ Lady Evelyn Smoothwater PP
We did the 1470m portage between FLORENCE lake and BLUESUCKER lake August 2016. It's marshy but passable but the logs that are there to walk on are needing to be replaced. When we were there many of the logs were completely submerged in water.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
Only registered users may post messages here. If you have cookies enabled, your username and password will automatically appear in the boxes. Register
Password:
Action:

Forums | Last Day | Last Week | Search | User List | Help/Rules Home