Forums Forums Help/Rules Help Edit Profile My Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search  
Ottertooth Forums * Temagami portage/campsite watch * East < Previous Next >

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
  ClosedNew messages will be added after most recent message, not on archived pages        

It is important to detail the problem or suggestion.
It is also important to note if you viewed the problem yourself (or if you heard this elsewhere) and when you observed it.

Reports only. Please take discussion to another forum.

Link to this message

c_mel

Post Number: 37
Posted on Thursday, June 10, 2004 - 12:18 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Lady Evelyn Lake east side, Campsite just north of Diamond Lake portage: privy box full and too close to water.

Lady Evelyn Lake west side, Campsite opposite arm leading to North Channel Lady Evelyn River: privy box full, old garbage everywhere.

Lady Evelyn River North Channel Centre Falls: Bridge in need of replacement

Lady Evelyn River South Channel Cabin Falls: Too friggin awesome!
 Link to this message

alscool

Post Number: 38

Posted on Thursday, June 10, 2004 - 2:22 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Fat man's Portage decent to river to friggin steep
 Link to this message

hillbilly

Post Number: 57

Posted on Thursday, June 10, 2004 - 11:58 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Last year, Portages from Diamond to Wakimika trees down.
Bill
 Link to this message

erik

Post Number: 3
Posted on Monday, July 5, 2004 - 4:20 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Island campsite at souther most point of rabbit lake (south campsite opposite of entrance to north west arm) is quite dirty. Found sompe diapers, packed out what we could but needs some attention.
 Link to this message

mdprus

Post Number: 1
Posted on Tuesday, July 6, 2004 - 1:43 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Erik, could you be more precise about the location of this campsite; I have a cottage on Rabbit Lake on the peninsula at the narrows but the only campsite I am aware of before there is not on an island.

If I know exactly where it is, I will try to swing by with the boat next time I am up and clean it up.
 Link to this message

alscool

Post Number: 40

Posted on Wednesday, July 7, 2004 - 8:38 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Right on Martin
Seems the intent of this thread is working!
 Link to this message

erik

Post Number: 5
Posted on Friday, July 9, 2004 - 3:16 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Hi mdprus,

I will get you the lattitude and longitude later today or tommorrow.

The site is on the south east side of the v where rabbit lake turns to go back north to Temagami.

Erik
 Link to this message

mdprus

Post Number: 2
Posted on Tuesday, July 13, 2004 - 12:54 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Thanks Eric,

I think I know the one you mean, it is the only one in that area. I will swing by next time I am up with some garbage bags. Thanks!
 Link to this message

jacarebrazil

Posted on Tuesday, August 31, 2004 - 4:39 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Rabbit Lake - Twin Lakes Loop

Myself and friend decided this past weekend to start exploring Temagami instead of Algonquin. As a primer to the canoe routes, we selected Rabbit Lake - Twin Lakes Loop. Much to our dismay, beyond Twin Lakes the route was extremely poorly marked. Notably the portage into Lowell Lake from the east side happens to be beside a hunt trail. Canoeists should also be warned the Hwy 11 cross is trecherous!

Better luck to fellow canoeists
 Link to this message

tsm

Post Number: 28

Posted on Tuesday, August 31, 2004 - 8:10 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

jacarebrazil
Did you read Hap's new book before enbarking on your trip? He does mention that few people travel this route, and that some trails were uncleared. He also mentions that crossing the highway is dangerous.
 Link to this message

cascade

Posted on Tuesday, September 4, 2007 - 10:12 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Lady Evelyn Lake, East of Island 10 Fishing Resort, small island campsite closed. Site directly across still open, steep takeout but a good site, even though people have torched the fallen tree seat (replaced with three nicesly sawed movable stump chairs though). No privy.

GPS N 47.23.218, W 80.08.052
 Link to this message

cascade

Post Number: 6
Posted on Tuesday, September 4, 2007 - 10:15 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Lady Evelyn Lake, south of the Dam, first campsite N 47.27.099/W 80.00.345, Privy full and path to it overgrown and difficult to get to. Otherwise it is a great site for a last night before going home.
 Link to this message

hillbilly

Post Number: 248

Posted on Tuesday, September 4, 2007 - 10:50 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Island Campsite going into Betty's Hole thunder box full, otherwise it is a great site. July 6, 2007 I was there. There needs to be a thunder box at the trail head to Maple Mountain, and how about one to top of Maple Mountain. July 7, 2007 I was there
Bill

(Message edited by hillbilly on September 4, 2007)
 Link to this message

bogey23

Post Number: 4
Posted on Sunday, July 27, 2008 - 4:09 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Wasaksina to cross lake portage - muddy area needs new trail routed around north side

Wasaksina - campsite on northeast large island(southwest tip) badly needs toilet direction markers; trail of toilet paper on north path and dumps on a tent site. Toilet is on the south trail and hard to spot for lazy people.

Cross lake - there is a campsite on the west side of the main west bay heading north that has chairs, two barbecues(one full sized), two large yellow containers stowed in the bush. Easy sight to spot by upright dead trees in the water.

Portages from Shiningwood to Wasaksina are very wet but passable. July 26 2008

Thanks to bear island crew; nice job cleaning up campsite heading to cross lake from temagami
 Link to this message

kayamedic

Posted on Thursday, July 30, 2009 - 7:43 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Thunderbox on first (westmost) island site on Kokoko full.

Noticed on June 22 2009. I am sorry I am late.
 Link to this message

curly

Post Number: 283

Posted on Wednesday, June 22, 2011 - 9:50 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

This is a clarification of the Obashkong to Lorrain Lake portage (east of Hwy 11, near Cassels Lake). There are a few trails there which may cause confusion.

When travelling from Cassels/Obashkong, paddle up Friday Creek as far as you can. There may be some beaver dams or blowdowns across the creek. Eventually you will come to an impassable rock garden. This is where two portages start.

1. Portage to Lorrain Lake starts on river left (aka the east bank, or the right bank as you head upstream). It heads quickly up a sandy embankment. At the top of the embankment it crosses a hunters trail. The hunters trail starts at Obashkong Lake and parallels the creek. So when you hit the top of the embankment, do not take the first left (which will bring you quickly back to the creek's rock garden), and do not take the right fork (the hunters trail back to Obashkong). Rather, the Lorrain portage veers left and heads further uphill. After about 1/2 km it crosses the Blueberry Lake road, and then proceeds to Lorrain Lk. The portage is easy to follow, but a little overgrown with summer vegetation.

2. The portages to Friday Lake start on river right (west bank or left bank as you look upstream). These portages were last maintained by Temagami legend Sloan Watters in the late 1990s. They are overgrown and should only be attempted by experts. You might be able to portage up the rock garden.
 Link to this message

alscool

Post Number: 320

Posted on Wednesday, June 22, 2011 - 10:23 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

from the FOT facebook page.

Castle Island, that thunderbox is filled to the top and it is very small.
 Link to this message

curly

Post Number: 284

Posted on Wednesday, June 22, 2011 - 12:17 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Where's Castle Is?
 Link to this message

joni

Post Number: 3
Posted on Tuesday, October 25, 2011 - 2:58 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Would Anima Nipissing Lake be included in the location of this thread?
 Link to this message

brian

Post Number: 1369

Posted on Wednesday, October 26, 2011 - 9:18 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Yes to Anima Nip.
 Link to this message

joni

Posted on Wednesday, October 26, 2011 - 12:21 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

The campsite on the north end of the island in the north end of Anima Nip (one of the "twin" islands closest to the access point) is in desperate need of a thunderbox. Numerous dumps were everywhere with TP scattered all over the place. Ugh!
 Link to this message

stajanleafs

Posted on Tuesday, July 30, 2013 - 2:07 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Widening of Lorrain Creek to Matabitchuan River(below Rabbit chute (P600)
Landing is obstructed by downed trees (3), impossible to use as take out in low water (we used our own and bushwhacked to the road). Simply requires a quick saw through.

Cooper Lk to small unnamed lake
This is the eastern side route to Glassford Lk with P900 on FOT planning map.
A bushwhack P100 is required at the large beaver dam. Easy for experienced paddlers. Now flagged.

South end of the P900 to Glassford is heavily obstructed (watch for our pink flagging tape). Path to old logging road is heavily overgrown (no apparent trail, just follow the forest + flagging tape trail) passable by following flagging tape but GPS or Compass recommended to avoid getting turned around.

We extensively flagged both portages in question and any other with hidden/obstructed sections.
 Link to this message

curly

Post Number: 440

Posted on Tuesday, July 30, 2013 - 3:26 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

I was speaking with Doug Adams of Northland Paradise Lodge a few days ago. He had recently done some maintenance on the Friday Creek (Obashkong Lake) to Lorrain Lake portage and had plans to do the Lorrain Lake to Rabbit Lake portages. Not sure if that would include the Lorrain Creek to Matabitchuan River portage, but probably.
 Link to this message

stajanleafs

Posted on Tuesday, July 30, 2013 - 3:41 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Doug did excellent work on that portage! It is now in great shape. The portages from Lorrain Lake southerly on Lorrain creek are in good shape. I can't comment on Lorrain to Rabbit (P500) as we did not use that one.
 Link to this message

lost_canoe

Post Number: 31
Posted on Sunday, August 4, 2013 - 2:28 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Hi Stajanleafs,
We just came out yesterday from Fourbass, Cooper and Glasford Lakes yesterday, so thanks for the flagging the way for us!!

Curly,
Who maintains the portage for the Rabbit Lake dam?? OPG or MNR or...??

A chainsaw for all the blowdowns on our route would be great (Maxam, Rabbit, Matabituan, Fourbass, Cooper and Glasford). Rabbit Lake dam has a BIG pine across, Fourbass into Cooper has a around 8 trees to hoop over and one or two on a few others too.

Link to this message

bearburrito

Posted on Tuesday, July 19, 2016 - 2:15 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

South Muskego: Goss to Lady Evelyn Lake July 2016

Flagging and old blazes found easily from Goss to logging road. 350-400 metres. Overgrown but passable. Flagging found north on road about 150m but lead nowhere. Old blazing found 50+m directly across logging road but blowdowns and growth made it impassable. Bring time and tools.

Last found report.
http://www.ottertooth.com/discus/messages/3/3864.h tml
It was not happy walking.
Regards
 Link to this message

brian

Post Number: 1762

Posted on Wednesday, July 20, 2016 - 9:07 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Thanks for the update. What is the condition of other portages in South Muskego?
 Link to this message

bearburrito

Post Number: 2
Posted on Wednesday, July 20, 2016 - 10:07 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

p530 Goss to Ferguson: detour made east around blowdowns (5 trees), overgrown in areas, heavy moose traffic in others, rock gardens clear.

P170 east from Ferguson: overgrown but passable.

P80 to Isbister: clear

Travelled south from Sugar Lake C.R. where all portages have seen heavy use. Time and supplies halted any further travel in the area.
 Link to this message

yellowcanoe
Post Number: 162

Posted on Tuesday, July 26, 2016 - 5:48 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

The 995 m portage after Friday Creek, which leads to Lorrain Lake, is impassable. It has plenty of deadfall, but I was unable to get around two large downed trees about a quarter into the portage. As I said, it's completely impossible to get around -- even with the most determined bushwhacking.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
Only registered users may post messages here. If you have cookies enabled, your username and password will automatically appear in the boxes. Register
Password:
Action:

Forums | Last Day | Last Week | Search | User List | Help/Rules Home