Forums Forums Help/Rules Help Edit Profile My Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search  
Ottertooth Forums * Temagami portage/campsite watch * South and west < Previous Next >

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
Archive through April 1, 2013ed25 04-1-13  5:18 pm
  ClosedNew messages will be added after most recent message, not on archived pages        

It is important to detail the problem or suggestion.
It is also important to note if you viewed the problem yourself (or if you heard this elsewhere) and when you observed it.

Reports only. Please take discussion to another forum.

Link to this message

eddy_turn

Post Number: 34

Posted on Tuesday, April 2, 2013 - 2:51 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Of all portages in Chiniguchi I've been to in 2011-12 maybe Rawson crossover requires some attention. Particularly, if I remember correctly, the last leg of the 1600m portage from the Sturgeon along Halleck creek (where the trail leaves logging road) had some deadfall.
 Link to this message

grncnu

Post Number: 269
Posted on Tuesday, April 2, 2013 - 8:24 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

we did that "bog monster" in 2010 and from what ed says it's still the same.
if you're looking for a project this is it, since (assuming it's still the same or worse) it needs 20-40 logs to make it passable without getting your knees wet...
which means the logs should be got from a wide area since we don't want to clearcut the portage!
 Link to this message

bushwacker

Post Number: 5
Posted on Friday, April 5, 2013 - 10:19 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Consider the Rawson crossover cleared up and the "bog monster" slayed. I have time on my hands this spring and figure I could use it productively. I spend a lot of time camping in that area and am always looking for something to do!
 Link to this message

sjfwhite

Post Number: 25

Posted on Tuesday, August 6, 2013 - 11:47 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Was the bog monster slain? That horrible stretch was one reason I was avoiding that loop this summer (the pansy that I am). :-)

(Message edited by sjfwhite on August 6, 2013)
 Link to this message

brian

Post Number: 1572

Posted on Wednesday, August 7, 2013 - 8:56 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

I am sure the bog is bad this year, too.
 Link to this message

sjfwhite

Post Number: 26

Posted on Wednesday, August 7, 2013 - 9:12 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Thanks Brian - I had asked in another thread in the forum about accessibility to Maple Mountain without bushwhacking. Any reports of people navigating to Tupper Lake by water or are the water levels still extremely low? Thanks!
 Link to this message

sunfish

Post Number: 3
Posted on Friday, August 23, 2013 - 2:59 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Northern most campsite on Wolf Lake- Chiniguchi. The thunderbox could use some attention. The top is broken, there are boards missing (on the seat) and what is left of the seat is patched (for now) with duct tape. New to (seat area) and reattaching the lid is required.
 Link to this message

ed

Post Number: 1254

Posted on Friday, August 23, 2013 - 4:50 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

This box was removed on August 16th. A non conforming box from the next campsite south was taken out of service , refurbished with a new lid and installed on the Northern campsite on the same date.

While we are on boxes… a second box was installed on the high rock campsite ( next campsite south) as that site is seeing extensive use.
 Link to this message

ed

Post Number: 1255

Posted on Friday, August 23, 2013 - 8:06 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

I think this is the box you were referring to:
 Link to this message

gudwulf

Post Number: 61
Posted on Monday, August 26, 2013 - 8:15 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Wow... Ed is like instant YouTube for the north country! (How many others out there go around the outback taking pictures of delapidated thunderboxes?)
 Link to this message

red_pine

Post Number: 9
Posted on Saturday, July 30, 2016 - 9:07 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Just back from 4 days From Laura Lake north to the Sturgeon through Fredrick, etc. All big things cleared, some brushing, all trails now easy to see. Met several people along the way, all super grateful.
Moved the T box on the beach at McConnell Bay.This McConnell Bay box is ancient, boards rotting away. The site needs at least 2 boxes. preferably 3 or 4 given the heavy use. Still, there was very little garbage around the area. We hauled out a big bag of stuff from back in the bush that was left behind by one group, probably last year.
Two boxes on Dougherty are fine as is. The Stouffer campsite is in great need of a box. The Fredrick campsite is little used.
 Link to this message

brian

Post Number: 1766

Posted on Sunday, July 31, 2016 - 8:08 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Thanks for your work, red_pine.

Did you get into the Backdoor or Parsons portages ?
 Link to this message

red_pine

Post Number: 10
Posted on Sunday, July 31, 2016 - 8:36 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Did not look at the Backdoor or Parsons. We did look at the first portage out of McConnell toward Marjorie. It was fine.
Also bushwacked from McConnell to Musko Bay. Definitely no portage there. But there is a bear-baiting trail up from Musko.
 Link to this message

red_pine
Post Number: 11
Posted on Friday, August 12, 2016 - 11:54 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Portages from Laura Lake north, through McConnell Bay, Sawhorse, Adelaide, Button, Dougherty, Fredrick, Stoufer to the Sturgeon were all cleared in early August.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
Only registered users may post messages here. If you have cookies enabled, your username and password will automatically appear in the boxes. Register
Password:
Action:

Forums | Last Day | Last Week | Search | User List | Help/Rules Home