Forums Forums Help/Rules Help Edit Profile My Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search  
Ottertooth Forums * Other First Nations * Lake Temagami Access Road - Conditions < Previous Next >

Link to this message

chib

Post Number: 3
Posted on Friday, July 29, 2005 - 11:03 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

I tried to start a tread before on the condition of the acess road. Didn't much feedback. I hear complaints all the time about the ruts and dust and I can't see why the Town can't put more effort maintaining this road. Is there anyone
out there that uses the road, that would like to get a discussion going on this and perhaps approach the Town and the TFN about it.
I am aware, as a former employee of INAC that they provide funds for off-reserve roads, provided that it is the only access to the reserve. I don't believe the TFN receives these funds of if they qualify, I haven't seen such revenues identified on the audit. I have brought this to the attention of some council members in the past.
Anyway, I feel that the road should be surface treated, maybe 5 km per year. This process is a little less expensive than paving, I can get more info on it, and post it here.
I have heard in the past that vehicles would be travelling too fast and there would be accidents. I say this is BS. If you every have been down Snake Lake Rd. in Temagami, there a road called Fox Run that countinues past Snake Lake Road that is nicely paved. This road does not have half the traffic that the access road has.
My opinion is that the Town does not give a damm about the access road because it does not benefit from it. The tourist coming from the south don't go into the Temagami, they turn onto the Access Road 6km before Temagami and take there chances on this dusty rutted so called road that is more dangerous than if it was surface treated or paved.
Another excuse I have heard, as to why it can't be improved is because the environmentalists would complain/process, about the salt/calcium
for dust control or clearing to improve the parking area. BS again, I don't hear anything
about the environmentalists doing anything about the clear cutting going on north of Maple Mountain.
I'm interested in getting a working group started composed of permanent and seasonal residents to
the lobby the town and the TFN to do something about the road before someone gets killed on it, or is this what their waiting for.
Any ideas out there?
 Link to this message

nature_freak

Post Number: 2

Posted on Friday, August 26, 2005 - 2:02 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

I agree Chib. This is long past over due. Check out the reserve in North Bay, they surface treated that. The difference is like night and day. This will be a tough one though. I don't think that even the Temagami Lakes Association wants to be responsible for that road. When it comes to the mine road and it's poor condition, everyone passes the buck.

Remember a couple of years ago a tourist had her false teeth crack right in half in her mouth because she was jarred around so hard from the ruts and washboard. Another tourist had his side mirror fall right off his new ford truck.

It should definatley be paved, but it will be hard to rally a group on this one. People always have too many reasons why it shouldn't be fixed.
}
 Link to this message

mdprus

Post Number: 23
Posted on Friday, August 26, 2005 - 9:21 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

You should check out the Rabbit Lake access road; that is in horrible condition as well.
 Link to this message

nature_freak

Post Number: 3

Posted on Friday, August 26, 2005 - 11:50 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

But is the Rabbit lake access road as well traveled as the mine road?} The mine road is a life line for people that live on lake Temagami.

It is an essential nessecity that this road be maintained, and it is very sad that it is not. It is alawys, like Chib has mentioned a topic nobody wants to discuss.

I have family living on Bear Island and I barely see them in summer because of the poor road conditions. I can't afford to have my only vehicle pounded up that road.

I think it's high time something was done to correct this problem. And Chib is absolutely right, every excuse we've ever heard is BS.
 Link to this message

chib

Post Number: 7
Posted on Tuesday, September 6, 2005 - 9:27 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Thanks for the feedback. I was on the road on the weekend and it was horrible. I can't see why the town couldn't have graded it before the long weekend, considering that the school bus has to travel it today. It seemed that the only time the town will move on it is when the school bus driver complains, or when they get enough complaints during the summer months.
I travelled the 12 Mile Bay Road, just south of Parry sound, recently and there is less traffic on it but it is paved from one end to the other. The last km or so is surface treated. The road is just as winding as the Lake Temagami Access Road but narrower. What a pleasant drive. The town of Temagami (officials) should pay a visit and see the difference. I talked to a couple of locals, and they said there is less maintenance, as grading is not required and tourism has increased since it was paved. Something the town doesn't want apparently.
 Link to this message

nature_freak

Post Number: 8

Posted on Wednesday, September 7, 2005 - 9:13 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

I can't beleive that nobody has thoughts on this topic, when all I hear is constant complaining about it. Chib is right, this may be the only way to have some real ideas and input here.I extend the invitation to town council to wow us with the reasons why they cannot and will not fix the access road. Come on people...these forums are for dicussing not just for reading. There is over a hundred local people that use this road everyday for their livelyhood. Arn't you people tired of watching your hard earned dollars in the form of new vehicles rattle apart on this dusty washboarded log road. In this day and age there is absoulutely no reason for this. It's time to take a stand now and get this problem fixed.Any township workers have a say? This is your chance...lets dicuss this matter.}
 Link to this message

doug_2

Post Number: 38
Posted on Wednesday, September 7, 2005 - 9:38 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

This has been an issue for 30 years....
Guess it continues to be so..

Link to this message

chib

Post Number: 9
Posted on Friday, September 9, 2005 - 1:18 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Just like the Land Claim has been an issue for 30 years, but it dosen't mean that things can't be fixed. I am going to change this thread and post it on another forum, Temagami News or something. maybe there will be more response. If the town dosen't want to do anything about improving the road than perhaps a committee can be formed to initially toss some ideas around and then take action. One idea that I had in mind was to collect a fee from the users (donations). Maybe hire a student to man a toll booth, during the summer months and collect a fee. The money could got toward road improvements. I'm sure some rich Americans would contribute.
 Link to this message

chib
Post Number: 10
Posted on Friday, September 9, 2005 - 1:22 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

How about new postings on this subject go on the Temagami General Forum under Access Road Conditions. I've started a new thread there.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
Only registered users may post messages here. If you have cookies enabled, your username and password will automatically appear in the boxes. Register
Password:
Action:

Forums | Last Day | Last Week | Search | User List | Help/Rules Home