Forums Forums Help/Rules Help Edit Profile My Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search  
Ottertooth Forums * Other First Nations * National Museum of the American Indian < Previous Next >

Link to this message

Post Number: 48
Posted on Sunday, May 16, 2004 - 7:30 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

" Nothing heretofore in our nation's history has prepared Native peoples for this moment. With the opening of this Museum, one journey ends and a new exciting journey begins. I look forward to your support as our work correct misconceptions and help bring about better understanding of the lives and cultures of the Native peoples of this hemisphere by all peoples, Native and Native alike. "

W. Richard West, Jr.
{ Southern Cheyenne }
Director of the National Museum
of the American Indian

Grand Opening September 21, 2004

My wife Sharon and I will be at the special Charter Members- only reception at the Museum where we will be presenting Mr West with the first of many of my late friend and mentor Frederick Dale Seminole's { Northern Cheyenne } original art works.

For anyone on Cape Cod this is a special invite:

" The skull of a battle scarred Simba was hand carved, tooled, and dyed in leather by the author. It was done in memory of the men of the Northern Cheyenne Morning Star Leather Works of the summer of 1970: Jo Jo, Freddie, Adin, J. R., Smokey, Trinidad, and especially Tucker { John Red Breath - Yellow Hair, the ' mayor ' of Ashland, Montana} .
I did the lion skull for the front cover of ASANTE PAPA!. Not only did I want to, but I realized that of all the possible images I could use, the lion skull was very significant to the peoples of East Africa in the ' Old Days ' in an old time way.
Papa would have appreciated the leather work. He liked the elemental, and people, like his loyal friend Gregorio Fuentes who worked by hand - fishing, sailing, rowing, - and to whom, at the completion of his ' Big Book ' , in his last will and testament, of 1956, Papa gave the Pilar.
' She [ Debba, with the soul of Africa shining out of her eyes in admiration ] put her hand back on the the holster which she truly loved, it having been carved better in Denver than anyone had been carved or tattooed, by Heiser & Company, in a beautiful flowered design which had been worn smooth with saddle soap and destroyed by seat... ' { Ernest Hemingway - TRUE AT FIRST LIGHT } "

from and about ASANTE PAPA!
by Paul D. Hammersten

The fine art of leather working is an Old World craft that requires discipline, devotion and patience.

In our computer age, it is almost an anomaly to create art by working with one's own hands using simple tools to carve, tool and dye pictures on leather.

In the 1600's the Spaniards brought their horses to the New World in a shipment of goods to Mexico and with them the fine art craft of working with leather. The Spaniards, with their skills to create beautiful carved saddles and functional horse gear, rode their horses northward from Mexico, following native trade routes, up into the Western Plains.

It was there in 1970, on the Northern Cheyenne Indian Reservation in Lame Deer, Montana, Paul Hammersten, learned the ABC's of his craft from Northern Cheyenne Frederick Dale Seminole, one of a vanishing breed of old time western artists.

The story of Paul's art and friendship with Freddie became the focus of Paulís film THE ROBE OF BEAUTY produced in 1993.

The public is invited to attend THE SONG THE EAGLE SINGS which will include a showing of the film THE ROBE OF BEAUTY and a presentation featuring an exhibit of the late Frederick Seminole's art work. Also on display will be Paulís newest picture now in the works entitled

Sharon, Paulís wife, an accomplished guitarist and singer has written THE SONG THE EAGLE SINGS which she will perform at the program.

The free program THE SONG THE EAGLE SINGS is scheduled for Sunday, June 13, 2004 from 2-4 at the Eldredge Public Library in Chatham, MA. The library is handicapped accessible.

Frederick Seminole's art, which is included in The Museum of The Plains Indian and The National Museum of The American Indian, will be on display throughout the month of June in the Forgeron Room of the library.

In the main lobby of the library, THE CHEYENNE by Frederick Seminole and Paul Hammersten will also be on display throughout the month. This unique work of art was created jointly by the two artists over a period of several years during the 1980s.

Please write Paul at - - or call him at 508-432-6516 for more information on this event.

ELDREDGE PUBLIC LIBRARY 564 Main St. Chatham, MA 02633 508-945-5170

Link to this message

Post Number: 112
Posted on Thursday, September 9, 2004 - 5:12 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Just a few more days until the Grand Opening of the NMAI!

The Inside Passage is called the Water-Wonderland of the World.

One early May during the Spring thaw, we saw thousands of streams and rivulets rushing down to the sea from off the big mountains. My wife, Sharon, and I were on one of the first cruise ships of the season heading North.

During the day we spied bear in the narrows and were entertained by large pods of Dolphin surfing the shipís wake.

At night we listened to the purr of the engines and felt the rhythmic thrum of the ship under our feet as we gazed at the stars in the night sky above the snow capped mountains. In the distance we could hear a sound like the low moan of thunder, ice breaking from off the glaciers.

The wonders of Alaska experienced from onboard the ship filled us with inspiration.

We found the ports and the people we met there equally inspiring.

Ketchikan gets about 15 feet of rain each year, but the sun was shining throughout our visit to the Saxman Tlingit community (also known as Cape Fox) near Ketchikan. There we listened to the songs and stories of the Tlingit people and watched their traditional dances, as a raven flew to the top of one of the recently repatriated totem poles that had been taken without permission from the community years ago.

I am a craftsman who carves, tools and paints pictures on leather using skills first taught to me by a Northern Cheyenne, so it was especially inspiring for me to have the opportunity to meet Tlingit carver Nathan Jackson. He was creating a totem pole in his workshop in the community destined for the National Museum of The American Indian.

W. Richard West, Jr. (Southern Cheyenne), the director of the NMAI, his staff and collaborators have created a home away from home for Indians on the National Mall in front of the Capitol in Washington D.C.. In the creation of the museum and its exhibits, Mr. West has encouraged authentic voices of Indian Country to be heard and for every step of the way have asked ĎIndiansí , the diverse peoples misnamed by Christopher Columbus, what a National Museum of The American Indian should be.

Above all they replied, besides showing the glories of the past, they wanted the museum to show the living cultures of tribal people.

Nathan Jacksonís totem pole is already in place. Considered one of a series of landmark objects in the new museum. It will serve as a gathering point for visitors.

The grand opening of the doors of the museum on September 21, 2004 will represent a triumphant moment in Indian history. Sharon and I hope to join the more than 12,000 Indians from tribes throughout the Western Hemisphere who will gather around Nathan Jacksonís 20 foot totem pole.

Interested readers are invited to visit the NMAI website at

Paul Hammersten

South Harwich

Link to this message

Post Number: 109
Posted on Sunday, September 12, 2004 - 8:47 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

That-away Paul!
Keep tha "Real West" alive!
Native American Indians needs ther side
of history be told too, Heya!
 Link to this message

Post Number: 143
Posted on Friday, November 26, 2004 - 3:50 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Thanks for the ' pat-on-the-back ' canoebear!

Link to this message

Post Number: 145
Posted on Saturday, November 27, 2004 - 6:20 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

And...The Real West Was Alive In The East!

Late the afternoon before the morning of the Grand Opening, my wife and I walked past the Capitol and down the hill to see thousands of folding chairs spread out on the uncut grass under the old trees along the Mall in front of the First Nations Stage directly in front of the Capitol Building.

The empty chairs were reservered for the Tribes who would take their rightful seats the following morning at the opening ceremonies after first celebrating the opening of The National Museum of the American Indian with a glorious processional.

I stood among the empty chairs.

Someone was burning sweet grass.

I could also smell fry bread wafting through the cool afternoon air.

Laughter and joy was everywere present with those who had also arrived early to ' check things out '.

The sound tech where busy up on the stage getting all ready for the speeches,prayers,and songs of another day.

Then, a solitary figure walked out on the stage and took the mike and sang for an ' empty ' audience.

My God! It was Buffy!

Buffy Sainte-Marie sang her song STARWALKER.

She did not sing it just for Sharon and me and the few hundred souls present but she sang it, I know, for The Ancestors. She sand it for all they went through for us. All they went through for this ' triumphant moment ' that would take place the next day - the grand opening of the NMAI.

Many from those early days, when we listened to Buffy in the late '60's and early ' 70's while in Lame Deer and Pine Ridge, would not fill any of those seats spread out before her.

Their stories are known.

Yes...sounds of laughter and joy...and a shed tear that night and many more the next day.

Hearts being healed.

Link to this message

Post Number: 8
Posted on Thursday, January 20, 2005 - 6:34 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

hey there people how are we doing? If I forgot Merry Christmas and Happy New Year. I'm 39 yrs old female from Temagami First Nation
Thanks Gwen Katt
 Link to this message

Post Number: 9
Posted on Thursday, January 20, 2005 - 6:35 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post
 Link to this message

Post Number: 158
Posted on Saturday, January 22, 2005 - 8:58 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Happy New Year to you too Gwen.

We will be getting as much as two feet of snow tonight and tomorrow...ugh!

We are going to hear Buffy sing in Vermont in May.

Link to this message

Post Number: 9
Posted on Tuesday, June 21, 2005 - 11:52 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Wow it looks like a lot of people missed a real momentous event....thanks for sharing it with us on this thread...i haven't seen buffy in years and yes when i was younger...i had all her albums..she is a real inspiration to everyone....
 Link to this message

Post Number: 208
Posted on Wednesday, June 22, 2005 - 3:56 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Thanks mvf for letting me know you enjoyed the posts about the grand openning of the NMAI.

Yes it was a real momentous event.

" The Cheyenne " is an acrylic rendering on hand carved and tooled leather of the Peace Chief Black Kettle. My friend, the late Northern Cheyenne artist Frederick Dale Seminole and I created the picture. I am proud the have my named inscribed together with Freddie's on the Honor Wall of The National Museum of the American Indian.

I have had fine art cards made up with " The Cheyenne " reproduced on them and will send one to anyone who wants one.

Hopefully this week end my wife can help me get a picture or " The Cheyenne " on the message board.

Link to this message

Post Number: 257
Posted on Tuesday, August 15, 2006 - 8:48 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Buffy Sainte-Marie's censored sounds
© Indian Country Today August 09, 2006. All Rights Reserved
Posted: August 09, 2006
by: Brenda Norrell / Indian Country Today
Click to Enlarge

PHOENIX - Nearly two decades after Cree singer and songwriter Buffy Sainte-Marie's song ''Universal Soldier'' was released and shipments of her records mysteriously disappeared, the truth of the censorship and suppression by the U.S. government became public.

Now, in federal court, Charles August Schlund III stated he is a covert operative and supports Sainte-Marie's assertions that the United States took action to suppress rock music because of its role in rallying opposition to the Vietnam War.

Sainte-Marie says she was blacklisted and, along with other American Indians in the Red Power movements, was put out of business in the 1970s.

''I found out 10 years later, in the 1980s, that [President] Lyndon Johnson had been writing letters on White House stationary praising radio stations for suppressing my music,'' Sainte-Marie said in a 1999 interview with Indian Country Today at Dine' College.

''In the 1970s, not only was the protest movement put out of business, but the Native American movement was attacked,'' Sainte-Marie said.

In an affidavit to the Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals in a Racketeer Influenced and Corrupt Organizations Act lawsuit against President George W. Bush and others, Schlund alleged he has been tortured in his attempts to reveal the truth about the Bush family's manipulation of U.S. voting results and the Drug Enforcement Agency's covert drug supplies to black communities.

Detailing the assassinations of the Kennedys and exposing the ''Don Bolles'' papers, named after the murdered Phoenix news reporter, Schlund said he remains alive today because of FBI protection.

Schlund, who said he previously worked in the covert drug operations in Phoenix, said rock music posed a threat to the United States and played a role in opposition to the Vietnam War.

In his federal court affidavit, Schlund said he has knowledge of ''the detailed plans for the break-up and destruction of rock n' roll music including the assassinations of many people to achieve their goals. The detailed plans to replace rock n' roll music with all-American music called country western.''

''This massive CIA and DEA covert operation was being conducted to stop political overtones in the rock n' roll music and to stop foreign influences on Americans caused by the exposure to foreign music. This operation was conducted because the Rockefellers had lost the Vietnam War because of the protest that was in part directly linked with rock n' roll music. In these files, the Rockefellers had needed the natural resources of Vietnam for the expansion of their corporate empire and they blamed the loss of the war in part on rock n' roll music.

''The assassinations started long before Vietnam but the plans to replace rock n' roll with country western music started during the Vietnam War and have continued to the present,'' Schlund stated to the court.

In his federal court affidavits filed in Maricopa County in Arizona, Schlund also stated that singer Buddy Holly, killed in an airplane crash in 1959, was considered a threat to the U.S. government.

Meanwhile, Sainte-Marie said she cut a singular path as she was being censored in the '60s and '70s.

''I usually didn't do what other people did. You didn't find me at peace marches. I was out in Indian country.''

Earlier, a young Bob Dylan heard Sainte-Marie sing in Greenwich Village and recommended she perform at the Gaslight, another hangout of the avant garde. Janis Joplin, Elvis Presley and Tracy Chapman were among those soon recording her lyrics. On the road, she traveled the world and received a medal from Queen Elizabeth II.

During this time, Sainte-Marie was selling more records than ever in Canada and Asia. But in the United States, her records were disappearing. Thousands of people at concerts wanted records. Although the distributor said the records had been shipped, no one seemed to know where they were. One thing was for sure: They were not on record store shelves.

''I was put out of business in the United States.''

Later, Sainte-Marie discovered the censorship and pressure applied to radio stations by Johnson during the Vietnam era, particularly toward ''Universal Soldier'' during the anti-war movement.

Sainte-Marie said Native people were put out of business, not just because they were succeeding in Indian country, but because they were succeeding in the broader community. She and others were a threat to the moneymakers of concert halls, uranium and oil, she said.

Then, fellow activist and Santee poet John Trudell's wife, mother-in-law and children were burned to death in a mysterious house fire shortly after Trudell burned an American flag in Washington, D.C., Feb. 11, 1979.

''I was just one person put out of business. John Trudell is just another person whose life was put out of business. Anna Mae Aquash and Leonard Peltier were put out of the living business - we were made ineffective,'' Sainte-Marie said of slain American Indian Movement activist Aquash and imprisoned Peltier.

But Sainte-Marie continued with her music and efforts with children after becoming a familiar face on ''Sesame Street.'' In the 1990s, from her home in Hawaii, she created the Cradleboard Teaching Project to link American Indian students with other students online around the world.

Remembering the 1970s and Trudell, Sainte-Marie said, ''We just kept chugging on. We kept coming to Indian country. We didn't worry about the fortune and fame because we went with our sincerity, our hearts and with our friends.''

Those years, however, were filled with pain.

''It was hard - seeing people hurt,'' she said.

Link to this message

Post Number: 295
Posted on Monday, January 26, 2009 - 4:02 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

I have a new web page with The Guild of Harwich [ Cape Cod ] Artists that shows the picture - THE CHEYENNE - Frederick Seminole and I worked on for many years.

The offer still stands as I gave it in the post above...let me know and I will send a fine art print to anyone who wants one.

Link to this message

Post Number: 296
Posted on Monday, January 26, 2009 - 4:04 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

PS - If you clck on the picture it will enlarge.
 Link to this message

Post Number: 462
Posted on Tuesday, January 27, 2009 - 5:14 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

"Cheyenne Winter"

Tha cold North allows 1 to embrace 1's purity,
while renewen 1's tracken skills.
I'll hav to find a fresh NW directional out-reach thru tha Timberwolf, 'tis time around under tha next lingeren "Snow/Hunger Moon", risen.
Been haven wild, untamed "Elk Dreams", as of late. Sum-times an antler animal comes into 1's life fer short period of time to guide him on his night's snowshoe journey into tha unknown.
me & Renee will be wanderen round Wisconsin's beautiful Chequamagon Northwoods by torch light, hope to get a "white rump" reflection from wild bull Wapiti while taken-in night smells of much evergreenery.
Need sum "Lame Deer Sweet Medicine" from U,
tha ma'eno, to bestow us tha power over tha buglen mo'ehe & tha hungry pack of howlen ho'nehes as we enter into wilds.
woLfwaLken don't speak tha Cheyenne Tongue well,
but whenever a non-Cheyenne tries to speaks Native, ther be much laughter.
Hall my birthday comen-up next month & I'd be honored to hang-high tha prints of tha
"Northern Eaters + tha Roped People downstairs our "Great Room" along with all tha other Turtle's Sacrid Items.
Let tha "Great Peacemaker of Truth & Meanen" no,
that our cabin has Natives that dwell here too.
Don't need any assistance from "Man in tha South", 'tis time of year, but need helpen hand from tha "Lady or tha North", who can put on hold, on cold snowstorms, as we breaken trail duren tha twilight under tha Northern Lights.
May tha warm winds of spring come to warm yer winteren tepee of skins/or bark + May yer Maine snowshoes make happy tracks in tha NE snow.
I believe; therfer I am, Heya!

Link to this message

Post Number: 381
Posted on Thursday, January 29, 2009 - 9:53 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Heya woLfwaLken...

Biina fyu miles an sevral sunsets sence lass we share tha woodsmoke... many trudgin snowsteps have come and gone... chasin whitehares and foxshadows by moonlilite bright...

Deep snowdrifts among us this winter... all the better ta climb and the slide down the forside makes me member younger deys, ah reckon...

Many words due fer fireside pondrin, woLfwaLken...

I doan speak the Cheyenne well neither...
but awl arr bretrun ... ah reckon... under silversliver moon...

Sprang she be comin'... tha air she has chaynged sum... erly sprangthang... like nawt recentley knoan I reckon...

Paddles ready.. warm winds... chinooktook...

Warm sun fer yer shoulderside

Link to this message

Post Number: 463
Posted on Friday, January 30, 2009 - 9:38 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

"a ways to go yet"

January's winteriness.
Bleak wintry sundown, turnen a shade of gray.
Natures pine woods, a cold hush at dusk.
Sunset, on its way to nightfall soon.
Winter-tide days, slight of light.
Tha after glow renders to a dwindlen wane.
Ravins survey a chance to rave about.
Darkenen forest cast lurken shadows of cold stark drearyness.
Pathless woods & inland lakes encompassed by ice refract tha flicker, of Northern Lights.
Frozen glacial waters cause an emotional stir
haven been cabined-up & all.
Both U + "Turtle Paul" be feverishly restless fer an ice-out.
Both U guys be dreamen of standen at tha salty sea shore's, a "meeten place", of sun & surf,
wher tha warm ocean tides splashes onto tha white beaches of sand.
Be-en in touch, in harmony.
A deep longen fer serenity.
To catch a wave/or hang-5, Heya!
 Link to this message

Post Number: 382
Posted on Sunday, February 1, 2009 - 2:56 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Bleeks relativ ah reckuns...
heet ther on tha sholdurs...
Pine Bough Brussle Drops Soaken tha Canvas
Taint Normal...
Sun shinin' hotter than normal...
Prayin' fer more snow fer rivermelt,
but reckonin' hard summer fer treesparkin'...
Air smells diffrent...
No smoak yitt... but... smellin er sum in dreemtimes...

I howlasked my shadowlesses...

What they beh howlinta yoo?

(hangin' sum 5 dreemtymez too)
 Link to this message

Post Number: 299
Posted on Thursday, March 5, 2009 - 8:39 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

One may now listen to the heartbeat drum [ tap ] and view the work of the late Northern Cheyenne artist Frederick Dale Seminole at -

What is are some good sources of information about the migrations of Indian tribes and families?

I know the Northern Cheyenne once lived in the traditional lands of Otterheads but know no specifics.

The Turtle

20 degress this am...but...supposed to be 60 degrees this weekend...waxing the board!
 Link to this message

Post Number: 468
Posted on Thursday, March 5, 2009 - 11:20 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

"Looked on Raw Bear Beauty in, Awe"

Beauty 'tis fer sur, a "true light deliverance".
Eye of beholden's make-up be, pristine in heart.
Comen in a form of a bald eagle soaren carrien an enchanten message from tha way thins wer before tha "west 'twas won-over".
Tha "true art beauty" 'tis tha ingenios design vigilance of tha past, from, tha 1 brought forth, whom has much no-how & skill.
As enticen as a beckonen lurerment as tha befall of Autumn Fall in all it's wild colour splender in & of change. Wher tha brilliant Canadian maple leaf trees be a northern reflecton mirrored off quiet water lakes.
Like tha sundownen of yester-year, wher nothen ever stays tha same.
Of great beauty, 'twas an over-look of an exquisite remote wilderness lake wher a red canoe is beached on tha far-off distant rocky shore.
A Thing of beauty, 'tis always a keepsake.
'Tis Superior entries be impressive & most important, as well as, essential to tha beauty of it, leaven canoebear of tha NE in much AWE.
But I'm still soar at U fer not taken me on that wild river expedition, which I wood hav been up-to-tha-mark + ready to go. Heya "Turtle"!

Link to this message

Post Number: 388
Posted on Saturday, March 7, 2009 - 12:44 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Tyma tha wetpaws heer...
Hunger Moon passen an blackwaterz rizen
thru crumbulshard blackice...
Presmatic clattershynes, ifn the Sunsets a goodun an the wessernwend lines weth tha redbadge jiss rite...

Tiz tha tyme of lawnglawst soulhowls...

Mournfulniss atter peek...

Heddback and cryin' saddlee fer ther hartwunnz...

So meny ancestrals... nawt neer nuff howlsawngs...

Heya WoLfwaLken
 Link to this message

Post Number: 395
Posted on Sunday, March 8, 2009 - 7:02 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Canoebear... Heya...

Mucha that northrenangst bildin...
Tyme'ta paddle reckun...
But, fer troo meenin', naught naughty preetendrencin'...
tha Patent-Taken on that, I Seeze

Jiss because shees a reel pulse...
veinin-coarsin-heartthump beleaf...

So meny pertendras
So meny wunce-a-yeerserers

they reckun tha wolf howls jiss fer them, ah reckunz...

anne onlee wenn thay grant the wolf ther blessin ah showin upp ta lissen...

thass jiss wrawng
thass jiss wrawng
thass jiss wrawng

sum caint reed tha wall ritin'...
sum caint fynd ther own howlvoyces...
they try.. but thur yelps are bellyupp ta Alpha...
sum caint eeveun
Caint eevun...

tis a sad redbadge sunset on such shame

i heer tha makobe drumbeats...
tha wunns pastimerze pertendrin...

no waterwalkin' wolves in tha NE.., I reckun

upheer, the howlers teechta swem
er go gone

sad nite...
sad nite. indeed...

shameful moon fer waterpretendren'

shameful moon

(Message edited by Sundown on March 8, 2009)

(Message edited by Sundown on March 8, 2009)
 Link to this message

Post Number: 469
Posted on Saturday, March 14, 2009 - 9:23 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

"Of Coyote From Upland Steep"

'Twas once when Old Man Coyote hunter afoot saw herd of buff meat to eat. He went-up to tha herd to "Talk Red" to them then said that,
U buff be gawky looken, yer heads be burdensum huge, yer much too hairy hided, yer pot bellied + yer legs look to me to be whacked-off/or short.
Tha Chief buffalo sign-language back to hunter afoot;
we be made 'tis-here-way, unchanged,
"Let Buffalo Live & Leave Be"
Old man Coyote told them;
"I'll tell what we'll do- we'll run a foot & hoof race- & all will run on even plain place towards tha steepenen cut bank edge, area beyond tha boundry".
Hunter nomad afoot plan, 'twas to move ahead & carry his handsum Indian blanket & place it over tha edge at tha cut-off bank, thence, turned to herd & said; before sundown,
just as we get to tha jump-off place wher tha blanket lay-over 'tis when & wher we all shut our eyes + block our ears to all go-en-ons & see how far we can all run into tha savagery wildness of tha still silent muzzled hush.
Tha alluren enticen race to tha edge of straight & narrow to go over tha edge, 'twas fer sur blind-sighted, once tha herd bought & gathered into it, "To Hear No Evil & See No Evil";
Tha buffalo all fell to ther death.
Old Man Coyote howled-over meat & hide of tha dead buffalo herd.

"Go-en to tha Buffalo"
wher Lame Deer rocked-up butte of canyon so deep
be a western show
wher tha Big Horn mountains swell-up
wher buffalo grasses & wild Greasey run rapid
be wher tha vastness of tha great Plains be
wher once sacred buffalo graze in much #'s
wher war club, spear, bow & arrow wer tools of tha trade.
"Go-en to tha Buffalo" to secure meat + robed hides. They came on foot with ther dogs.
With tha "blink of an eye" tha buff be gone & with ther demise in passen left tha faint outline of a hoof print.

Era of tha Cheyenne Indian Paint Pony, American's Mustangs & toten a rifle in hand changed the heat + thunder culture forever, may hav scorched tha earth, be a journey to tha ends.
Now became a full-fledged horse culture tribe which changed vision on tha plains + forgot who they wer.
Hard riden forced wind in ther long black hair.
'Twas a life force in & of itself
"Path of tha Wind", unseen energy to open-up ther ears, soul of a divine be-en, that 'tis fresh air sweepen aride on tha open range of tha Great Plains.
1 can find tha footprints from tha divine god wher ther is power, grace, nobility, strength, freedom & beauty which leaves in dust a gallopen path towards sacred buffalo hunten grounds.
Made Cheyenne ride Old paint into SE Montana.

'Twas "Sweet Medicine" who gave Robed People 4 arrows, 2 arrows offered fer power over men & tha other 2 given power over wher tha buffalo roam. Now a mornenstar painted in black darkness, cause they lost ther way & forgot who they wer. "Tha Real people"!
Be a long-runnen-fight still, till tha end.
Cheyenne Warriors wer finest horsemen of tha plains, bravest most noble warrios who ever lived. Whom knew how to die proud, but, not to be led captive. Awesum warriors "armed to tha teeth" with revolvers, rifles, bow & arrows--- proud, haughty, obstinate, as well as, defiant, still be tha best representative of tha American aboriginal that exists. Tha "Dog Soldiers" wer revered by all. Ther regalia, fighten tactics, history, traditions & ceremonies, 'tis time to do justice to "Turtles people" & bestow on to them a "Sacred Buffalo Hat Covenant".
'Tis be a lasten exciten image in America's history & beautifully captures tha enternal spirit of tha rough + tumble
"Wild West Frontier".
With tha defeat, tha Dog Men Horse Soldiers, as well as, tha bison, all but dissapeapered, blown-away like tha wind blows thru tha flat & rollen lands of a sea of tall grass of few trees make-up mix. Many moons hav passed since I ventured out west. 1 day again will make pilgramage once more to 'Sacred Buffalo & Painted Horse Territory" in Cheyenne's Autumn before I fall-off-tha edge, too.

Good idea + good trade fer work of "Turtles"
leather rawhide art of tha "Great 1/ Tonka Wakan Stallion" comen hopefully soon before too many sundown passen,
Indian Paint picture of pinto on horse hide.
Tha great plain object in try-en to understand past history 'tis to get behind a "Turtle" whom no's + grasps good ideas, Heya!

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
Only registered users may post messages here. If you have cookies enabled, your username and password will automatically appear in the boxes. Register

Forums | Last Day | Last Week | Search | User List | Help/Rules Home