North of Waswanipi
Travel north of Waswanipi became possible with the arrival of the Ontario Northland Railway (then T&NO) at Moose Factory in 1932. Trips could take the train home, thereby saving the time that had been used for paddling back to the CNR line or all the way back to Temagami. The early Rupert trips would actually travel by sloop from Waskaganish (then Rupert House) to Moose Factory.
North of Eastmain
Another pivotal event was the arrival of the road in the 1960s at Mistassini and Albanel lakes. This saved the time that had been given to paddling up from Oskelaneo on the CNR line. Trips could now travel farther north to the Eastmain, Sakami, Opinaca and Old Factory rivers.
The '74 Section A trip below was one of the most northerly routes. The trip was windbound on the Bay for one full day and portions of other days. From Eastmain House, the section flew to Moose Factory in bush planes — an Otter and a Beaver. In 1974, the James Bay Agreement was about to be signed and the road to La Grande was under construction. This road and the others branching from it would alter, again, the limits to Section A travel.
Maps and information herein are not intended for navigational use, and are not represented to be correct in every respect.
All pages intended for reference use only, and all pages are subject to change with new information and without notice.
The author/publisher accepts no responsibility or liability for use of the information on these pages.
Wilderness travel and canoeing possess inherent risk.
It is the sole responsibility of the paddler and outdoor traveler to determine whether he/she is qualified for these activities.
Copyright © 2000-2013 Brian Back. All rights reserved.
We do not endorse and are not responsible for the content of any linked document on an external site.