The four-storey Ronnoco Hotel, once Temagami's largest building, dominated the village. It stood between the railway station and the steamer docks and was a popular waypoint.
When the Ontario Northland Boat Lines came to town after WWII, the hotel became the centrepiece of the government agency's plan to turn Temagami into a Banff-like destination. That fell apart in the face of local opposition.
Dan O'Connor was the prime mover behind its construction (along with the Temagami Inn and the Lady Evelyn Hotel) in 1905. Ronnoco is his name spelled backward. O'Connor was the former mayor of Sudbury where he was a lumberman, prospector and hotel operator. He is considered the village of Temagami's founder.
The Ronnoco was renamed the Minawassi in 1946 and burned down in 1973. It stood just north of the current town hall. This photo, looking north, was likely taken in the 1950s.
Maps and information herein are not intended for navigational use, and are not represented to be correct in every respect.
All pages intended for reference use only, and all pages are subject to change with new information and without notice.
The author/publisher accepts no responsibility or liability for use of the information on these pages.
Wilderness travel and canoeing possess inherent risk.
It is the sole responsibility of the paddler and outdoor traveler to determine whether he/she is qualified for these activities.
Copyright © 2000-2015 Brian Back. All rights reserved.
We do not endorse and are not responsible for the content of any linked document on an external site.