Forums Forums Help/Rules Help Edit Profile My Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search  
Ottertooth Forums * Temagami canoe routes & backcountry travel * Makobe Lake < Previous Next >

Link to this message

rocknrolla

Post Number: 2
Posted on Sunday, November 20, 2016 - 3:44 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

I've wondered why Makobe Lake, being another big/remote lake deep in the park much like Florence, has so little said about it? What can anyone tell me about Makobe Lake, and whether its a place you would recommend visiting. Thanks guys
 Link to this message

brian

Post Number: 1798

Posted on Tuesday, November 22, 2016 - 8:43 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

I have wondered the same, even more so as I have been there so often. Maybe because it is so large and there are no high hills immediately on its shores, like Florence, that it doesn't have that same feel of comfort. It is also not on a direct route to anywhere, possibly with the exception of Makobe River, and that is not really traveled except in high water. Unless you take the long drive around to the north side of the park, it is a longer trip to reach.
 Link to this message

rocknrolla

Post Number: 4
Posted on Tuesday, November 22, 2016 - 7:43 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Brian,

Would you recommend a trip into Makobe? Wondered how you would describe that lake and area of the park.
 Link to this message

grncnu

Post Number: 425
Posted on Thursday, November 24, 2016 - 9:51 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

We were only on Makobe once, as a side trip (had lunch) from the Grays/Makobe R. route, where we were camped at the top of Banks L. A very beautiful lake, Makobe- and not un-Florence-like as I recall it.
The Makobe River is always called a spring-only route, but we did it in August (I don't know if it was an abnormally high-water year). We were able to run all the runnable rapids with very little tracking. Many of the rapids are "culvert" type rapids where they stay deep enough in the very centre to float a canoe (and at high speed!) unlike say the LER rapids which turn into rock gardens or the Sturgeon rapids which turn into gravel shoals.
Again, that might have been a high-water year...
But that Makobe-Grays route IS undertavelled, and I don't know why either. To get there, there is also the route from NLER to Trethewey which I've never done, but plan on doing soon!
 Link to this message

brian

Post Number: 1799

Posted on Saturday, November 26, 2016 - 11:04 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Yes, I would recommend at trip into Makobe if you like solitude and virgin territory. Getting there up the LER is always part of the joy. However, the best part of the Makobe trip is less Makobe Lake and more Makobe River. Second Falls on the river can be easily reached in any water level. I love campsites on falls and, especially, ones that you will have alone. And then you head back to Banks Lake and continue onto Makobe Lake. As for Makobe, when can you paddle on a lake that size and probably have it to yourself.
 Link to this message

rocknrolla

Post Number: 5
Posted on Sunday, November 27, 2016 - 2:57 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Thanks Brian and grncnu,

Brian, I think Hap Wilson mentions that site as one of his favourites as well, in his guide book. Im planning to do a circuit of the area starting at Gamble, going down the LER and then back up the Grays. Taking a side stop into Bercole along the way. Something about Makobe Lake has always interested me, with its size and the fact it seems so unknown. Really appreciate the reply's. I've read almost every scrap of information this site has. Temagami is really a magical place, its good to know guys like Ottertooth and FOT are looking out for its best interest. One last question about Makobe: Is there a lot of white pine up in that area or is it more spruce/boreal? Thanks again!
 Link to this message

grncnu

Post Number: 426
Posted on Sunday, November 27, 2016 - 11:27 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

If you're thinking of camping on Bercole: there is no campsite. The entire shoreline is either too bouldery or too low and impenetrable for camping.
Thinking there WAS a campsite, we arrived late in the afternoon, searched everywhere and ended up hauling our tent up a very steep hill at dusk (I think on the west side of a sort of peninsula) to the flat open bush at the top. Once there it was a perfect campsite.
Bercole is actually a very beautiful small lake, well worth the side trip.
Brian may correct me, but I believe the Grays is low-lying and somewhat sprucey and boreal, while Makobe is more piney.
Also try to be quiet and look for wildlife. On the Grays just past the turnoff from the LER we were held up for 45 minutes by a bull moose that stared us down and refused to budge- also saw more moose, several close bear encounters and heard wolves at Alexander Lake.
 Link to this message

brian

Post Number: 1800

Posted on Monday, November 28, 2016 - 11:07 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Grncnu is right about Grays, but I feel like Makobe Lake leans to a little more pine.
 Link to this message

bush_pilot
Post Number: 251

Posted on Friday, December 16, 2016 - 6:21 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

I fly over Makobe all the time, in 30 years I don't ever recall seeing anyone on the lake. lots of pine but it is right on the edge of the pine forest, they start to become far more scarce north of Makobe. Long Point lodge and Lakeland Airways had boats on the lake in the 1980's that they would use for fly in fishing, I don't think there are boats stashed there now, at least none that I have seen.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
Only registered users may post messages here. If you have cookies enabled, your username and password will automatically appear in the boxes. Register
Password:
Action:

Forums | Last Day | Last Week | Search | User List | Help/Rules Home